Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The amazing world of Son-Rise

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am the grandma of a just turned three year old little boy who is autistic.  I would like to introduce the Son-Rise program to you all.  This is a parent lead child centered program that you as the parent run yourself with the help of volunteers who come twice a week for two hours.  

You attend the start-up program in Mass, to learn how to get started, and bond with parents looking for something that will help them get their hope back, have control of their child's progress, and keep their child in a calm, controlled environment.  

The volunteers maybe college or high school students, friends, church family, anyone who has a desire to impact your child in a positive way.

With son-rise we follow a developmental model where the focus is on eye contact, interactive attention span, verbal communication, and flexibility.  The goal is to allow your child to do the leading and when they are available and give you green lights then you or your volunteers are there to be the most amazing friend to your child.  

We have watched our grandson make slow but steady progress through a actual developmental program.  He is friendly, learning appropriate behavior, and learning how to be a social being which is our ultimate goal, while allowing him to do the things he needs to do so he can take care of himself.  (Stimming)

Most of those that I know that do Son-Rise do so because of many of the issues that are stated on this forum, school problems, undereducated teachers, melt downs etc.  also many of these families say their child learns but is not learning to be social and with the Son-Rise program that is changing.

If you want to learn more you can go to autismtreatmentcenter.org

or message me with questions.

kathy

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Great idea...thanks for sharing!  I live in Virginia though:)

Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I live in Texas Nd we went, people fly over from all around the world to attend the Son-rise program.  You can also apply for scholarships as they are. Non for profit organization they get donations from all over.

Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Bump

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Have you seen the movie? Its from the 70's. I think its amazing, I'd love to try it with my daughter.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Sheriff6
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Yes and Rauns parents spoke to us at the start up program. I promise you that anyone can help their child with this program. Go to autismtreatmentcenter.org

Watch the autism solutions video on their web site it will tell you things to try.

Today our three year old grandson was playing with me in our Son-Rise play room and we were playing a balloon game where I would blow it up and the let go so it could fly around the room. After a couple times it few to a corner and I challenge him by saying "max if you want KK to play the balloon game with you, you will have to get the balloon and bring it to me. It took him about three seconds and then he got up went and got the balloon and put it my hand. He did this several times. Two months ago he did not respond to request and now he is doing this more and more. It is a blessing and an honor to be a personal part of his growth to recovery.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)