Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How supportive are your parents?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 52 Replies
Everyone treats Dillon a little more carefully in our family but none of our parents "get it". They also have NEVER helped out babysitting or spending any real time with him. They don't bother to really listen to what's going on with him... Or even ask, honestly.

In other words, they are far from good grandparents! How about yours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TeapotHot
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 7 and very high functioning.  My husband is an only child, his parents married 40 plus years,  and they live about one mile from our home.  They are ACTIVE and take INTEREST in her life, and CALL her on the phone and will BABYSIT her.   They also see her if they and we get invited to SAME family functions.  (Birthday party, reunion, wedding, picnic)  I have one older sister, who is married and she has one daughter.  They live 30 miles from our home.  ( Aunt and Cousin)  She see's her older cousin from time to time, and cousin loves her to pieces.  They see her if they and we get invited to SAME family functions.  My parents have been married 40 plus years, they live 30 miles from our home.  They sometimes send her cards in the mail for holidays, will also send up gifts and will attend dance recitals, that are in their town, two times a year.  They also see her if they and we both get invited to SAME family functions. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
It just amazes me the difference in grandparents. I envy those people who have a great support system, even if your kids aren't special needs, but more so when they are. Ours have been nothing but a HUGE disappointment.

Quoting TeapotHot:

My daughter is 7 and very high functioning.  My husband is an only child, his parents married 40 plus years,  and they live about one mile from our home.  They are ACTIVE and take INTEREST in her life, and CALL her on the phone and will BABYSIT her.   They also see her if they and we get invited to SAME family functions.  (Birthday party, reunion, wedding, picnic)  I have one older sister, who is married and she has one daughter.  They live 30 miles from our home.  ( Aunt and Cousin)  She see's her older cousin from time to time, and cousin loves her to pieces.  They see her if they and we get invited to SAME family functions.  My parents have been married 40 plus years, they live 30 miles from our home.  They sometimes send her cards in the mail for holidays, will also send up gifts and will attend dance recitals, that are in their town, two times a year.  They also see her if they and we both get invited to SAME family functions. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:51 AM
My mother is wonderful! She actually noticed something was different before anyone else (including drs). I live in TX & she goes between MN & AZ so only get to see her a couple times a year but we talk almost daily. Unfortunately she is the only one in my family. No one else acknowledges that she has autism because she looks like a typical 4 yr old even dh is still in denial.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My mom used to be my biggest supporter. She understood the whole IEP process and all the crap the schools pulled. She was very helpful with the beginning of my journey when my son was starting school. She lived across the country and had no money to come see us but we talked on the phone every day. That was 8 yrs ago?? We don't talk anymore. At all. I am pretty sure she has borderline personality disorder.

My dad sends the kids gifts and he's always trying to steer my 15 yr old away from his obsessions (video games and yugioh) by buying him books about how to read body language and stuff. He also lives out of state and so we only see him once a year, maybe.

My husbands family lives across the country too. We never see them and frankly that's ok. They have no clue our oldest has aspergers. They are uneducated and wouldn't get it. Besides they are only interested in themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Very supportive and amazing with Ashton. My mom had worked with kids on the spectrum. She taught me a few things. My parents took us to Disney world in 2011 and were a huge help with both kids but especially Ashton.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Other than saying there is nothing wrong with him just some quirks.  My dad and step mother play with him.  My husband's parents love taking care of him. 

I would talk about your dilema with your parents.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM

My mom and dad are supportive somewhat. They are just now starting to understand that the dx is real. My mom always thought I was just complaining about things he did. Now she is more understanding. They will watch my children on some occassions. I don't ask them very often due to both of them having a hard time moving around. My kids are 2 and 4 so they are constantly on the move. My in laws are great. My MIL reads everything she can get her hands on to try and understand ds. FIL works for a special needs organization so he also understands a little about ds. They come down from PA 3-4 times a year and treat him the same way they treat his sister. I really love how both sets of grandparents don't treat him any differently than their other grandchildren.

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

our families try to be supportive but don't really know how to handle anything weird. My family can't really handle me and don't understand my son's special needs.

My mom in law loves us, but doesn't understand much, or how to support us. we try to pretend were a normal family around her, and she tries to limit her contact with us so she doesn't see all the weird stuff.

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM
My mom is the most supportive and loving with my son. My dad tries so hard, but solicits unwanted advice.

My parents want to help, but one of my little man is like 3 or 4 NT
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Our parents are very supportive...they are interested in knowing everything about Brady and what they can do to help.  They live far away but are very involved!  We are blessed:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)