Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
Everyone treats Dillon a little more carefully in our family but none of our parents "get it". They also have NEVER helped out babysitting or spending any real time with him. They don't bother to really listen to what's going on with him... Or even ask, honestly.

In other words, they are far from good grandparents! How about yours?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Replies (51-52):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Why does it seem we all have the same problem with our MIL's? lol

Your mom sounds awesome!

Quoting BKozICan:

Most everyone is supportive.

My mom asked how we could change Thanksgiving to make it Tommy-safe. She did the little things like put broth in mashed potatoes instead of milk and making gravy with cornstarch instead of flour, kept separate green beans from the casserole... She reads articles and magazines to understand --and be able to explain to others-- what autism is, myths, therapy options.

FIL is so great and supportive. He is old-school, but can sense when something is too overwhelming for ds and can avert a meltdown. He occasionally cries and tells me he can see how much I am doing to help ds. He has been unconditionally supportive of any therapies or things we want to try.

MIL doesn't get it. She doesn't believe he is autistic, is just fine for his age, "just like uncle was" (uncle is mid-thirties and never held a sustaining job...) She follows the gfcf diet only because she won't get to see the boys otherwise. At first she would "test" it and give him things he shouldn't have, but after I called her on it because his behavior was off, and laid out how serious I was, she now sticks to it. 

That said, I do trust any of them to watch ds for the day, or even weekend. I am really concerned about guardianship of him if something happened to dh and I. Our current elected-guardians just moved across the country, so we need to figure something out soon.

Myspace Comments

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM

WHAT?!? That would make me so angry!!

Quoting jeda1429:

Oh I should also add that besides saying " I wouldn't tell anyone and maybe noone will notice", my mom is also fond of saying things like " well I don't know why you worry about it so much, aren't they supposed to be working on some of this stuff with him at school? They're the experts, I would just let them work on it with him and not worry about it at home."

Myspace Comments

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)