Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
When you think back to the time that your child (who is on the autism spectrum) was little, did they have trouble Breastfeeding (if you breastfed that is?) and if you didn't, did they have feeding problems in general?

I once heard from a child psychiatrist that feeding problems are often the first sign that something is wrong and I wonder if that is true for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (11-20):
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I had trouble with him, but it was for a physical reason that was denied by his pediatrician (got rid of her). He was tongue tied. If you don't know what that means, it is basically when the frenulum (skin that attaches you tongue to the bottom of your mouth) is too short. They even mentioned it to me in the hospital before I took him home after he was born. Stupid doctor said no, he was fine, it was my problem. This is the same doctor that wanted to give my son a CAT scan at 12 months old because his head was big. I used a nipple shield with him for the entire 15 months that I breastfed him. I took him to an ENT and they scheduled him to have it clipped when he was 22 months old. They had to put him to sleep to do that, I was pregnant at the time, and it about killed me. But he did very well. As for if it had something to do with autism, I don't know, his was more of a physical limitation.

smarieljlee
by Sara on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, breastfeeding was very difficult. As far as i could tell It a was a coordination issue. Around 6 months it eased up though. Dd went on to nurse through the toddler years. other than that she was an easy baby...for me. She wouldn't let others hold her and she certainly would not take a bottle. 

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM

sort of. in the first two days it was difficult, but my milk didn't come in and i was too impatient. i regret it now. :(

i breastfed on and off for two months then i switched to bottle and he's always been a good eater :)

tictacmama
by Arlea on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Xavier never learned to suckle well. I ended up feeding him and his brother expressed breast milk for their first seven months because I wanted them to have the antibodies (they were 7 wks preterm and after 7 mos it hurt too bad to continue).

mels712
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:47 PM

my son showed signs from birth. He was breastfed at first but it is difficult to breastfeed a baby that doesnt like to be held. plus he is tongue tied which made it difficult for him to latch on

DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Yep. My ASD son was a nightmare to breast feed. I blamed it on him being in NICU for a week, then a high palette. I also thought that i was doing everything all wrong with him and feeding.... Because he was my first child. I gave up defeated after 10 weeks.  My second son who is NT was very very easy to breast feed. I know, without a doubt, there was something physically different with my oldest having breasted successfully with my second. 

T me, this is a plausible theory. 

mommy2angel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Yes my son had a really hard time learning to nurse. I'm not sure if it's because he was my first and I was learning too. I had no problems with my daughter!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenalide
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM

My NT older son never did nurse.  My son with ASD nursed very easily, and didn't want to stop when he was one, even though I was ready to be done.  He did struggle adding food to his diet.  I never could get him to eat baby food beyond the step 1 food.  He is almost 3, and I think would still only drink milk and eat nothing if we let him. 

binz322
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:25 AM

No, my son nursed great until I weaned at 8 months and was a great eater until about 21 months old with solids. Then he got picky and starting eating very little. 6 months later we are still struggling with his eating.

But my son is not yet dx. Has a lot of ASD tendencies but they won't dx at his age.

Kalic0
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My son had lots of problems latching properly and he actually managed to deform my nipples before he got the hang of it.  It was actually kind of painful nursing him but I hung in there.  I guess a less determined person would have given up as it took almost 5 months. We had to supplement with formula from 3 months on because he was so big and growing so fast he was  not getting enough milk. He was bottle fed breast milk most of the time though (I pumped), since I had to go back to work after 2 months and my husband was the stay-at-home until around 2. I weaned him to regular milk only at 15 months and then 3 months later he tossed away his bottle and has refused milk ever since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN