Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
When you think back to the time that your child (who is on the autism spectrum) was little, did they have trouble Breastfeeding (if you breastfed that is?) and if you didn't, did they have feeding problems in general?

I once heard from a child psychiatrist that feeding problems are often the first sign that something is wrong and I wonder if that is true for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Replies (21-24):
Siobhan69
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
No, both of my kids feed great as babies. My ds is now a picky eater but he still eats good. So no problems with feeding as infants.
aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:54 PM

He was a hard sucker so it hurt but other then that no problem.  

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

No, had no issues Ashton didn't take a bottle and transitioned from breast to sippy cup at 16 mo when he weaned himself. He was my first and so far all 3 of my kids were good nursers. He was easier to wean thanh daughter and I am currently breastfeeding my youngest, he is 13 mo.

Poisongirl98
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM
My DS is not on the spectrum but does have sensory-motor issues and delays (but has made vast improvements with therapy). Anhway--yes, DS did have trouble nursing. He could not stay active at the breast long enough to get the hind milk, so he had trouble gaining. that combined with my PPD led to me exclusively pumping. At the time I thought it meant something was wrong with him. I think that the fact he was given a pacifier before I could nurse him (unplanned c-section) was a a big factor for him. He did a lot out of comfort nursing but not enough nutritive. I have heard multiple times that a baby can "imprint" on whatever type of nipple they're given right after birth. DS has definite motor planning issues, so I'm sure for him it was true.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN