Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

educating myself on autism

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 7 Replies
hi..my name is nicole..i joined this site, because im in a serious relationship with my bestfriend. our kids have been friendds for 3 yrs before we hooked up. well his one child is mild autistic..im tryen educate myself and my 2 kids..my daughter understands but my son doesnt..hes only 5. so im tryen to find some kind of program that we can get into to understand autism more..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
There's a lot of info out there. Check out Autism Speaks they have useful info.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nickcraig
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Spend more time with the child.. that's how my husband (my son's step father) learned. Now, my husband is a pro and my son listens and loves him.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

There are many books written for children about autism, and other general disabilities as well. Many kids respond well to stories and books. We had the same problem with my son and our nephew. He didn't want to hang around my son because "he is mean." 5 year old logic, my son doesn't talk and doesn't interact with him so he thought he was mean. My son and my nephew were at the same preschool, so we got together with the teachers and they got my nephew to go into my son's classroom as a peer budy. I don't know if your son is in school yet or not, but a lot of schools will have a peer budy type of program. They will take typical kids and put them in with the speical education classroom and let the kids interact with each other. It really helped my nephew. They would also do education in the classroom about autism and other disabilities, through stories and playing. Just make it as simple as possible. Kids are amazing about accepting others when they learn that there isn't anything scary about someone who's different.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Join your local Autism Support Group. I would also see what Autism Speaks.com  has on their site for talking with families about Autism. I think it's great that you are trying to find out about Autism. It's wonderful that you are trying to educate your children too. Welcome to the group

newmommy430
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This episode of the show "Arthur" explains asperger's (which is on the autism spectrum). It may give you a different perspective in a way that is easy for kids to understand. You could also You Tube other autism videos. I like the fact that you can learn from the point of view of someone with autism that way.

If you have a fb account, you could like Carly Fleichman's page "Carly's Cafe". She offers a lot of insight from the perspective of a person with autism. If you have Netflix, check out the movie "Temple Grandin". That is a very good movie about the life of a woman with autism. It's a true story too.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:03 AM

These ladies have some great advice...hugs mama!  Welcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)