Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

stress and mad at self

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

i am so stress and mad at my self why in the world did i wait until just the last month to hit this diet thing hard in the last month.  we have seen so many changes in our son he is now talking not  at the age he should and some if higher then he should now. in some areas if it is like about trains he still does not talk with you for the most part but he say words now.  why did i not do this as strong when others said to try in back in sept.  i did a little try and then stop and it did work a little but nothing liek what it is with staying with it all.  why could i not just belive that food taking something away would change him and for the better with things.. i feel so bad now that i did not listen and he could have been doing better by now more then he is if i would have listen to others.. sorry just needed to vent

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Aww, its ok mama. You are doing it now, and that is the most important thing. If you had started 4 months ago then he wouldn't have been drastically different, its a long process, and you need to commit to it 100% for quite a while, sometimes years to see the full benefit. Its not easy, its hard work and lots of research, some mom's can't ever sort it out, so you're doing a great job! Keep it up! Better late than never. I'm happy your son is doing well, great to hear, enjoy it!!!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

flash2802
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

What food change did you make? I was thinking about putting daughter on a Gluten Free diet but she's such a picky eater I can't get her to eat any of the gluten free stuff I bought her!going crazy

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this

(link) this is a good place to start the diet. I went through a ton of different things to try with my daughter until I found ones she liked, every new thing was like a little victory! Udi's gluten free bread was a good one, Ian's brand alphabet fries, and chicken and fish sticks. It all tastes pretty good, I am pretty much gluten free too, so I just ate whatever my daughter wouldn't. Also look for recipes listed as GAPS or Paleo Diet, they are grain, sugar and dairy free and delicious! If you give your kid no other option, then they will eat it eventually. Once the gluten and dairy is out of their system they will feel better and want to try more things too. Its a process...

Quoting flash2802:

What food change did you make? I was thinking about putting daughter on a Gluten Free diet but she's such a picky eater I can't get her to eat any of the gluten free stuff I bought her!going crazy

Paperfishies
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Glad a diet change worked for your little one...diet change made no difference in my kiddo.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Hugs mama!  Don't be so hard on yourself...it's okay:)  Just focus on the future!

BKozICan
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Oh hugs. We moms of these special kids can second guess and "Monday morning quarterback" everything. We just do the best we can, when we can.

I'm glad you had such a turnaround on the diet. We also practically got a new child  when we threw ourselves into it. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM

You have nothing to feel bad about! What you do from this day on is important!  Take one day at a time...it's gonna be ok!  =)

Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:57 AM

My son isn't picky when it comes to food so much as flavor is concerned. It's all about the texture. And gluten free stuff has a weird texture to it, at least most of it does. My son wouldn't eat any of that stuff. The texture has to be perfect in order for him to eat it. If it gets over cooked by a minute he will refuse to eat the food. 

I'm really glad that this diet is working for you and your little one. Try not to beat yourself up too much as far as the timing goes. 

I'm glad he is doing well.

wedding countdown

bugsmama149
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I understand how you feel. I beat myself up every day. I tell myself what a lazy, selfish parent I've been. I tell myself that my son deserves to have a Mom who just knows what to do all the time. And then I have to take a step back and really look at my son and see how happy he is, what a loving home he's being raised in........and I have to remind myself that I would literally die for my child. Sure there are things I should have done by now. Hell, there are things I shoulda done today!  And I looked at my phone a bit ago and saw that there was a voicemail on it. My son had left me a message telling me "be careful when you get home from work mama, I saw a bee by the front door, I love you".  ............   My son, saw a bee by the front door and wanted to warn me about it........he didn't want his mama to get stung.  Despite all these things about me that I think are flawed, my son loves me. And Jesus.......do I love that kid too.

Keep hanging in there mama, we're not always gonna know exactly what to do, we just gotta do what we can with the information (and energy) that we have. Take care.

bpb2661
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

thats awesome! thinking bout doing that. did u do gluten free and celiac free? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)