Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

ASD-NOS WITH ODD

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

So we had our first initial evaluation and they are saying he is ASD, however because of his age, we have no acedemic type measurements, and we haven't had the appointment with the psychologist yet, they are saying they are not really sure where on the scale he is going to fall for sure. We are being sent to one of the top ASD clinics in our state and they are putting us at the top of the list. They said they believe his aggression (which has gotten so much worse) is due to ODD which is Oppositional Defiant Disorder, I had never really even heard of this, so I'm in the process of doing some research to find out exactly what we are facing with this. Still sounds like we have a long road to go down, but at least we are on it  now, and have a good direction to follow!!!! 

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I hope you are able to get Collin the help he needs.  :(

CollinMommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:46 AM

thank you!! It was hard to hear, and his dad is still insistant that they are wrong, but with everything that we have been through over the past year and a half, its a relief at the same time to know that we at least have an idea of why he has been struggling so much. 

Quoting Bluerose1482:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM

While it is hard to hear and read it in black and white, I honestly believe that now that you know and he is able to get appropriate therapies and help, things will get better.  It does stink that his dad won't accept the plain truth.  Hopefully he'll come around, especially if he sees progress. 

Have you contacted his previous preschool about his diagnosis?  Perhaps they will consider taking him back after he begins therapy.

Good luck!

Quoting CollinMommy:

thank you!! It was hard to hear, and his dad is still insistant that they are wrong, but with everything that we have been through over the past year and a half, its a relief at the same time to know that we at least have an idea of why he has been struggling so much. 

Quoting Bluerose1482:

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Well, of course its hard to hear, but you husband will come around. Everyone has their way of dealing, he is still in the denial stage but I think you are well past that stage now. You were right, that's mother's instinct. I'm glad you finally know, now you can get crackin on working on things and help Collin better. Thanks for the update!

CollinMommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Thank you!!! His father will eventually have to accept it and come around, but I honestly believe that he may be a little autistic himself now that I really know the signs, and the symptoms of it. Which may have been why we could just never see eye to eye or get along about anything. I just hope his stubborness goes away for his sons sake. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to better understand everything, and help my little man!!!!! 

Quoting TVioletsMomTown:

Well, of course its hard to hear, but you husband will come around. Everyone has their way of dealing, he is still in the denial stage but I think you are well past that stage now. You were right, that's mother's instinct. I'm glad you finally know, now you can get crackin on working on things and help Collin better. Thanks for the update!

unusualmom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM

My 9 year old has asd and ODD.  His ODD ois pretty moderate.  He got real violent around the age of 4-6 but now he has settled down some.  The thing with him is that someone has to provoke him in order for his ODD to lash out.  He is 9 now so I have grown to know his little signs saying"Im going into ODD mode" and a lot of times I can waylay his lashing out.  
And dont worry about other people in public and their opinions.  My son lashed out at the library the other day - smacking, screaming and kicking his dad because his dad pulled his earbud out.  People looked and watched...Oh well...let them watch.
 And just because he has ODD and you fear he may lash out - keep up the discipline.  Dont allow his ODD let him walk all over you.  He still needs to learn and accept life doesnt go his way.

Good Luck

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Hugs and good luck mama!  I'm not familiar with ODD!

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Hugs momma. I know that the dx is hard on some people. From what I have read on here it seems that dads have a harder time with accepting the dx than moms. I think it's a male thing. I would talk to dh before ds was dx that I suspected ASD and he would say no ds was fine. I would give him a list of reasons why and he would still say that I was over reacting and just comparing him to dd who was advanced in all the same areas. Once the dx was given he was like ok you were right. So your dh will come around just in his own time. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM
It took my dh a long time to accept it. He used to tell me that *I* just needed to spend more time with him. And I do think that dh is also on the spectrum too. He's obviously high functioning - but I think his literal thinking help him at his job. He's a lawyer. LOL

Quoting CollinMommy:

Thank you!!! His father will eventually have to accept it and come around, but I honestly believe that he may be a little autistic himself now that I really know the signs, and the symptoms of it. Which may have been why we could just never see eye to eye or get along about anything. I just hope his stubborness goes away for his sons sake. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to better understand everything, and help my little man!!!!! 

Quoting TVioletsMomTown:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN