Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Did your child display symptoms during infancy?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 28 Replies

Hi everyone :). I am new as of today.  I have 3 kiddos, a NT 5 year old son, a 3.5 year old daughter dx mild PDD-NOS last fall and an 8 month old baby girl - no dx.

My 3.5 yr old daughter displayed some gross motor delays as an infant, but it wasn't until she turned 2 that we suspected something wasn't right when her language/communication was not progressing. She received speech therapy through our state's EI program and is now in our county school speech program. My husband and I are continuing to search for additional services because 1 hour of speech per week is just not enough to achieve the skills she needs for school and social functioning.

Our baby girl is now also displaying some gross motor delays as well as not showing interest in feeding herself finger foods.  Her joint attention is also hit or miss (still evolving at this age). We are hoping and praying she is just a laid back baby, but I am afraid she may be following in her sister's footsteps.  Of course we are paranoid over her every move or lack there of. The baby will be evaluated by EI for physical therapy next week.

Does anyone have multiple children on the spectrum?  Did your child or children show signs in infancy?  Any info you can give is gladly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for your time in advance :)

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:54 PM

My son would not take my breast, not cradle.  He was a quiet baby but cried when he didn't like something or when he needed to be fed.  At 10 months he would not point but did start talking.  He said "Go, go, go." Learning to walk was normal and started walking w/o any assistast at 12 months.

mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM

My son cries for hours, and I cried with him =( ...not just anytime of the day..it's always from 4pm-7pm everyday for 3 months.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

No, I really didn't notice any symptoms when my son was an infant.  I don't think it's all that unusual to see them though.

Telephus44
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My first child is on the spectrum.  As a new parent, I wasn't really worried or looking for anything.  But I knew from maybe 6 months onwards that he was different from other kids.  He had some delays, but nothing exceptionally delayed.  But he had almost no sensitivity to hot, cold, or pain.  Very little interest in other people.  I can see the signs now in retrospect, but didn't at the time.

My second is only 8 months and I can already tell that he's not the same as his brother.  He is very socially engaging and loves to play.  I can't really point to anything specific, but I know in my gut he's NT.

Nattycakes
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thank you for responding.  I appreciate you all sharing your experiences :)

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
My oldest is high functioning aspergers. My next child was opposite of him, still is, so while moody, she's NT. ;)

When my youngest was 12 months the ped did a autism screening. It's called the MCHAT and available for free online. I just answered all the questions quickly...yes, yep, uh huh. The ped was pleased and I went home. Later I looked it up online and really questioned if I had answered those questions truthfully.

I had said, yes he points. But does he? I had to pay attention. There were 3 issues at least from that screening that made me wonder.

About 18 months later, I had to take an inservice on autism for work. My heart began to sink as I listened. I went back to the MCHAT and realized I still questioned those same issues.

I decided I needed an outsiders professional opinion. So I called EI. And he qualified! Half of me was like, "yay! I'm not crazy!" But the other have was like, "oh f$*k! Here we go again."

All that was just last month so it's all new and I don't know where it will take us. Part of me want to pull him out of EI as if just having them come could some how *make* him be on the spectrum. LOL

Anyway, I'd look up the MCHAT, it's for kids 12-30 months, but it will show you some things to look for.

Here's the link. Sorry it's not clicky.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/diagnosis/screen-your-child
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charley31
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Hi there! i only have 1 child. But he was a different infant. He preferred not to be held. If he did get held it had to be me tho. He cried nonstop...colic and his reflux was so bad i couldn't breast feed after a few weeks. He was a screaming vomiting mess and so was i..well i didn't vomit but hrs and no sleep o cried with him. He had such a sensitive stomach we had special expensive formula. At 6mo he started having a tic which after soo many tests and nights at hospital we are now realizing he has extreme sensory issues. Now that he's 2y a lot of his issues are in a way making sense and drs are putting all the pieces together. I knew something was extra special about my boy when he was 4-6mo. No one would listen but i stood my ground....no one knows him better than me. Now everyone is on board and oddly enough no one has said wow sorry we weren't more supportive you were right. As long as everyone is on board now is what is important now i guess Good luck to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

No I had no idea until he was 3. 

MistyMoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I want to say no, but I think I I probably did, but I just thought of them as his little quirks.. He used to be obsessed with cameras, never really liked to be held, wasn't overly warm and affectionate, didn't listen when his name was called... But other than those things, nothing tipped me off. He seemed like a normal kid even still, he was always very social, LOVED being aroun people, never delayed in anything whatsoever, he had quite an advanced vocabulary for his age at the time actually... It wasn't until the daycare he went to told me to get him tested. I still don't think he has autism, I think it's something else.. Oh well, I'm not worried, he gets the supports he needs and he's doing very well. He's also improved a lot since he had been diagnosed. He was 3 when he was diagnosed and he's 5 now.
Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM
When my son was a baby he wouldn't make noise when he woke up in the morning. He would just lie swaddled in his crib waiting for us to come pick him up. He . Also would not rest his head on my shoulder if he could help it. And he was pretty slow hitting his milestones.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)