Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going to pedi tomorrow need pointers ***UPDATE*****

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 12 Replies

i am taking my son to the pedi tomorrow his counselor suggested to refer him to a place that does testing for autism.My son does alot of the symptoms, no eye contact,have to buy tagless clothes ir cut out all tags,he is very aggressive, he has adhd and odd...i need some help to get the dr;s to do this

"PEDI BELIEVES THAT AUTISM IS NOT WHAT IS CAUSING ALL THE ISSUES ...ALTHO HE SAYS MY SON IS "WAY OUT OF HIS EXPERTISE" LOL SENDING HIM FOR A BEHAVIORHAL ANALYSIS...AND A SLEEP STUDY ...HOPEFULLY WILL GET SOMEWHERE

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck.

Write down a list of things you're seeing in him as well as all of your questions (more will pop into your head while you're there).

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think (hope) that your dr would refer you to someone who understands and deals with diagnosing autism. Don't let the dr brush you off. Tell him/her you and the school have concerns and want a referral. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Demand that the testing be done. Give them all the symptoms that you are seeing at home. Push and push until they do the test. We as mothers are our children's biggest advocates. Don't let No be an answer. Good Luck Momma

cjsmommie98
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

thanks all hopefully will work been doing this for almost 3 years

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Definately have a list of your son's symptoms and any questions you may have. You really shouldn't have a problem getting him to refer you to someone, but I actually did. I found my own pediatric neurologistthat specialized in autism and then called my pedi's office and asked the secretary for a referral! And it worked!

My pediatrician asked me to wait until my son was 3...still not sure why, but he honestly thought tere was nothing wrong with my son. What's funny is HIS oldest son is autistic and you would have thought he would have been more helpful. HA!

Good luck today! Let us know how you make out!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck today!!!

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not agree until you've had testing done to prove one way or another.  We had a neurologist and a psychologist tell me my kids were not on the autism spectrum.  Testing proved otherwise.  Get a referral to a developmental pediatrician or a neuropsychologist for evaluation and developmental testing.  Even if it's not autism, at least the testing can help the doctors point you in the right direction for why your son has the symptoms he has.

The best advice we ever received was that it's less important WHAT diagnosis you get but that the diagnosis you get matches the symptoms you see in your child.  If you don't feel like what the doctor is telling matches what you are seeing, then try another doctor.

Good luck!

cjsmommie98
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

ty for the advise all of it helps

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Good luck momma

BethB111
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was diagnosed by a child psychiatrist and referred to testing by a child psychologist to provide the "proof" for the school, in the form of a report of the testing performed, which included the ADOS.  My son was 9 and had been seen by 5 psychologists (to be tested by 4 of them, including two school "psychologists"), and I cannot count how many pediatricians--and received several other diagnoses, including OCD, sensory processing disorder, and ADHD--be persistent, and go to the experts--make sure they specialize in diagnosing children. Good luck!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)