Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Brushing and PECS

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
  • 8 Replies

So took ds to OT today and talk about total meltdown. He screamed so much I am sure that nothing was accomplished today. I know it's not the OT he absolutely loves her. He started the moment I had to pull into the parking lot at building B. He hates that parking lot for some reason. He cried most of the way to the OT building. Of course we walk in and talk about sensory overload. The place was crowded with kids and parents. The noise level in the waiting room was so loud. He just froze and looked lost. He wanted me to hold him. When he sees his OT he smiles and reaches for her. The moment she takes him into the gym he starts his meltdown. She said he just would not cooperate for any reason. She feels that it's because he can't communicate verbally and he is starting to get frustrated with it. She recommended that I do the brushing technique 2-3 times a day with him and use PECS cards with him. I talk to his ABA tutor and his SP therapist and they are all in agreement on the PECS. I hope it works. He has been having a lot more meltdowns lately. Has anyone else done the brushing? How did it work for your child? What about the PECS cards. I had a hard time finding PECS pictures today. I guess I will be working on those for the next few days getting them together

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I do some PECS. I just take pictures with my camera and get them printed. I think they also help for transitioning them to a new activity or new place since they are often visual learners. I think PECS are great. I've also used a sensory brush on my son. He loves it. He'll even use it on himself. Giving my child sensory input before something new or difficult for them really helps. Also big/tight hugs helped him a ton. They LOVE to feel the deep pressure. Hope this helps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I do the tight hugs and rough play with my ds. I have the brushes already but have not used them yet. I was shown by the OT on how to do it. She also gave me papers showing me step by step instructions. I just hope it works cause he is starting more and more meltdowns.

Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Goodluck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We used to do both brushing and PECS with Ashton when he was in preschool. The brushing lasted about a year and then he hated it.  It did work for a short time, same with pecs. Good luck!

valleymomma1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I have been brushing or a long time is she going to train you? I am surprised only 2 to 3 times a day to start.  I do my sons 4 times a day now but in the begining like the first year it was recommended every 90 minutes or so followed by compressions.  My son loved deep pressure I use a sensory diet.    We used to use pecs now we use a schedule but same format as pecs.  We still use pecs for morning getting ready routine.   My son needs a good tight hug often as well.  We also use a compression vest & weighted belt.   Good luck.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Never did the brushing, but I can certainly understand the sensory overload. Just keep constant with bringing him there and his therapies. If he loves the therapist, then he will eventually do very well. The more he gets used to it, the more he will accept it as his routine day.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mama!  Maybe he had an off day...not sure.  PECS is a great program...we tried it with my son but it didn't end up being a good long term solution for him.  All kids are different.  Hugs mama!  Hope things get better soon!

Stazzi
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Have you thought about getting noise cancelling headphones for him? Or does he have an ipad/tablet/laptop/whatever that he can use with regular headphones? My son has both noise cancelling headphones that we keep at school right now and also bluetooth headphones to use with his ipad. He also sometimes just wears the bluetooth headphones if things are particularly noisy.

I took a PECs seminar about two years ago. It really helped reduce my son's meltdowns. While he is more verbal now, we still use activity strips daily. You don't need to use the brand PECs pictures. The other poster that suggested taking pictures is a great idea. I think actual pictures instead of drawings/cartoon images is much better for our kiddos. The most important thing for this is consistancy in using them and also make sure that everyone is using the same pictures. Even if just one out of 4 of your child's therapists/teachers is not willing to use PECs, it will not work. Consistancy is so crazy important in our kids lives for everything that they do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN