Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

can someone explain this.

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 14 Replies
Weighted blankets? The doctor was talking about them but I was in shock from the diagnosis I wasn't processing things correctly. So any help is great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
binz322
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM

My son just got his weighted blanket. He has sensory processing disorder. We use it to calm and settle him during the day on the couch and when he goes to sleep. My son has a lot of proprioceptive seeking issues and this gives him the deep pressure his body craves to calm him down. He also has a weighted vest and pressure vest for these reasons as well.

Does your child have SPD?

blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM
That's exactly what our occupational therapist told us.

Quoting binz322:

My son just got his weighted blanket. He has sensory processing disorder. We use it to calm and settle him during the day on the couch and when he goes to sleep. My son has a lot of proprioceptive seeking issues and this gives him the deep pressure his body craves to calm him down. He also has a weighted vest and pressure vest for these reasons as well.

Does your child have SPD?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I've never used one for my child...hugs mama!  

Mi_Chelly
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM
They are blankets with some form of weights in them to provide a (steady) feeling for comfort. We thought about them for our son, but he closterphobic (sp) and freaks out in them. They provide the (weight) he likes, but he can't stand the closeness of them.
catwoman123456
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Guess the thundercoats for cats and dogs work on the same principle-thanks for clearing that up for me

binz322
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

We just had a friend make one. She used polybeads and quilt stuffing in each square like a quilt and made it toddler size. Go to website http://www.weightonme.com/ they have very affordable and cute ones. Much cheaper then therapy catalogs. I would have ordered from them if my friend coulden't have made me one.

kaygarcia97
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
She has some issues with sensory processing disorder
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM

It depends on each child I think, you can have sensory issues without needing the weighted vests or blankets. My daughter is just as happy to have big hugs, but I've never noticed her to "need" that kind of input to settle, or to be comforted that way. I think it really helps some kids too. There is a checklist here (link) that you can do to see what areas she is most sensitive in. My daughter is more sensitive to auditory, visual and taste/smell.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ds has sensory issues too. His OT suggested we use shirts that are a size or 2 smaller than what he wears. It will give him the feeling of a tight hug. The weighted blanket was not recommended to us. We also do brushing for his sensory needs and use a trampoline. 

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM

DS 5yo ASD/SPD:  I tried the weighted blanket hoping it would help him sleep a few yrs ago when he had big sleep problems.   Did not help.  he has been wearing a weighted/compression vest at school to help focus.  he also uses a weighted lap pad when seated at school,helps him stay in his seat.  The few sizes smaller shirts were also reccommended to me,did not do anything for DS,don't spend a lot for"compression shirts"buy smaller size swim shirts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)