Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sleep help !!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son was doing so good at sleeping up until this last month, he's been up almost every night from 3ish til 5ish .. All happy having a good time keeping everyone else up of course ... Any suggestions?? Anyone else have this problem ??
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM
How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedAgain3
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM
He just turned 3 .. He used to do this all the time and about like aug stopped and was sleeping through the night and last month he started getting up again .. Nothin in his surrounding or diet really has changed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Been there done that w/DS 5yo.  Ask your pedi about melatonin.  Natural hormone that we make,some people need the supplement,DS asleep within 15 min,no side effects-sleeps 10-12 hrs straight thru the night.  Gd sleep soo important for all of us esp growing kiddos!  Melatonin and consistent evening routine,for us,dinner,video/play,bath,book,bed.  DS does not even have to have the Melatonin every night now-he WANTS to read and go to sleep!

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM

My 4year old in the past did not sleep. I talked to 2 different doc to make sure melatonin is fine. His dad was not crazy about giving him a pill but he not going to bed at midnight but back up at 3 am. I needed sleep. It safe. I have to brake it up and put in pudding. And in a way I'm not sure what it does but some night he will even go to bed on his own before I give it to him.  

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:31 AM

My son went through a short phase where he did the same thing...so glad it was short lived!  Hugs mama!

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I think the getting up in the middle of the night can quickly become a habit. I've heard of families who are forced out of bed each night by the child to get up to watch some Disney movie! Exhausting!!

Is there any possibility it could be teeth? Fluid in the ears? Anything medical at all?

My first two kids slept all night. Well, they did get up to nurse but they always went back to sleep.

My youngest, 2 1/2, has been different. He's the kid who asks for movies in the middle of the night. He's woken up and told me he was all done sleeping and tried to get dressed and asked to go bye bye in the car!! At first, we thought something was wrong. He's hungry. Or sick. But no, it just seemed like he was done sleeping - at 2 am!!

This behavior tends to come and go in spurts. He won't do it for months but out if nowhere he will do it several nights in a row. My conclusion is it has to be teeth. So I will give him Motrin before bed once he starts doing it.

The other thing I do, is refuse to get up. I play like I'm asleep. I don't let him go downstairs and I don't let him watch tv. (I had in the past and that quickly started to become something he was wanting more and more!).

So basically, I ignore him. If he wants to sit in bed and play in the dark, fine. But we aren't getting up. We aren't turning on the lights or tvs. And I'm going to try my best to sleep through it!! And with that method, it only lasts a night or two before he's back to sleeping all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Did you know that you can get liquid melatonin?  And Swansonvitamins.com has 1mg capsules and 3mg capsules that are tiny. Swanson Vitamins has liquid melatonin too.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=liquid+melatonin&x=0&y=0

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=swanson+melatonin

Quoting N.Carter2001:

My 4year old in the past did not sleep. I talked to 2 different doc to make sure melatonin is fine. His dad was not crazy about giving him a pill but he not going to bed at midnight but back up at 3 am. I needed sleep. It safe. I have to brake it up and put in pudding. And in a way I'm not sure what it does but some night he will even go to bed on his own before I give it to him.  

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Well, we were up at 5 this morning, so I'm one to talk lol. Honestly though, it happens only just so often now with my daughter. We stick to the exact same time every night for bed, and have an epsom salt bath right before bed (its calming). It works about 95% of the time, but there are always those early days every so often. btw my daughter's bedtime is 10pm and she will usually sleep until 8am, some nights she asks to go  to bed at 9pm now.

No naps! If she naps then the schedule gets out of whack. I think it was around age 3 that we had to stop naps altogether, otherwise she would not sleep through the night at all. Also if you really tire them out with exercise and activity during the day, the sleep goes better at night. Melatonin is great, I use it myself, but it never did work for my daughter. Its worth a try though, its totally safe. You must have complete darkness for it to work, give it about 10-20 minutes before bed and then don't even have a nightlight in the room, it needs complete darkness to be effective.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

nmbrsgrl
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

OMG! My son, Gabriel, is almost 5. He started waking up about 3am or so a month ago. He stays in bed but I can hear him laughing, jumping on his bed, squealing. So we lay there awake, listening. So frustrating. We give him melatonin liquid just before bed and valerian super calm liquid before bed.

marisab
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

how old is he?any changes at home?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN