Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I don't like my son's new speech therapist!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM
  • 19 Replies

I do NOT like her...I will give her a few more weeks, but I see this relationship ending very soon.  This was her second week with Brady, and there are several problems.

1 - Her "style" and personality don't mesh with Brady.  We've had therapists like her in the past, and they have only lasted a few weeks. Period.  She is agressive, in your face, and just too strong in her methods.  

2 - She expects too much out of my son...she speaks to him like he's smarter than he really is.  He has no idea of about 90% of what she says.  She expects him to do things developmentally that he isn't ready for and just doesn't understand...simple as that.  EVERYTHING she says is very dramatized and she signs everything!  Brady looks at her like she's stupid! He gets very frustrated with her.  

3 - She hasn't taken any time to get to know Brady or anything about him...she has gone ahead full board as if she has worked with him for a year!  

4 - She expects me to do EVERYTHING she says to do at home...I am able to do some things but not everything...not yet...with my son, you have to go slowly and work your way up.  You can't just start full board!  She doesn't get that.  When I told her what I've done with him yesterday, she basically said it wasn't good enough...that I needed to do exactly what she said.  I told her that we would work up to that but I can do it all tomorrow...we have to start small and slow and go up from there.  

My husband will go with us next week and we'll see how it goes, but I'm thinking she will be gone soon!

Done venting!

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Start video taping your sessions.

My sons speech therepist is the same way. I thought that she was to hard charging at first, until I started to see major results.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I'm sorry. I have seen therapists like that before. It's very frustrating. Is she through the school or a private therapist? Can you go to her supervisor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:09 AM

She is a private therapist.  She was highly recommended and she is well known for being a fantastic speech therapist.  My husband wants to meet her and see how she is for himself...SO glad he's coming next week and we'll determine what we want to do then.  Jeff (DH) wants to give her a chance to make some changes before we kick her to the curb.  She doesn't tailor any of her style or methods to different kids...she does the same with all kids (I know a few of her other clients), and I don't agree with that.  My son is different as all kids are.  Jeff wants to talk to her and see if she will compromise in some areas...if not, we will be gone.  We'll see though:)

Quoting mypbandj:

I'm sorry. I have seen therapists like that before. It's very frustrating. Is she through the school or a private therapist? Can you go to her supervisor?

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Thanks for this...good idea!

Quoting edelweiss23:

Start video taping your sessions.

My sons speech therepist is the same way. I thought that she was to hard charging at first, until I started to see major results.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I'm not sure about the supervisor thing...I heard she was agressive before we started...didn't think she would be this bad though.  I just don't think going to a supervisor will change anything...she is the way she is...we just need to learn to deal or leave I suppose.  

Quoting mypbandj:

weirdkids
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:15 AM

sometimes the agressive aproach is the best approach. i wish my sons speech therapist was a little lore agressive. as for the signing, all of my sons therapists sign to him. yeah he looks at them like there is something wrong with em but at the same time, when they leave.... hes using the signs that he learned.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM

You are not the first person to tell me that approach has worked well.  That's why I want to stick with her for a little longer to give her a chance.  My husband will talk with her next week and see if she will compromise a little on her expectations to begin with.  She needs to meet Brady at his level and then work up from there.  My son is 4 with Autism and other diagnoses along with Brain Damage/Abnormalities.  His brain is that of a 10-12 month old...he doesn't pick up on things that quickly so the signing part is hard for him.  Not to mention, motivation is hard for him...not much motivates him.  We'll figure it out though!  He WILL get there!

Quoting weirdkids:

sometimes the agressive aproach is the best approach. i wish my sons speech therapist was a little lore agressive. as for the signing, all of my sons therapists sign to him. yeah he looks at them like there is something wrong with em but at the same time, when they leave.... hes using the signs that he learned.

weirdkids
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

like with any language, including english, its all about repitition. the more she signs, the more hell pick up. hell surprise you on that one, just give it some time. my little guy is a pain in the ass with it lol his therapists try so hard with him lol hand over hand teaching him the signs and in therapy its like he doesnt get it then all of a sudden, BAM!!! hes either signing or wont shut up lol sometimes i question if he does it for his own sick amusement. he will be totally silent through his whole session then the min they leave i cant get him to be quiet for 10 sec lol even with pecs. he wont use the pecs board for them but hell use his flip book for me the min they leave. every single time lol everytime its time for his re evaluation i want to cry because he fails miserably every single time but even his therapists know that he is capable of so much more because they have seen it. its almost like he does it just to be a pain in the butt lol peg boards... he loves them. does em all the time. they give him one in evaluation and its as if he has never seen one in his life. drives me crazy lol

Quoting darbyakeep45:

You are not the first person to tell me that approach has worked well.  That's why I want to stick with her for a little longer to give her a chance.  My husband will talk with her next week and see if she will compromise a little on her expectations to begin with.  She needs to meet Brady at his level and then work up from there.  My son is 4 with Autism and other diagnoses along with Brain Damage/Abnormalities.  His brain is that of a 10-12 month old...he doesn't pick up on things that quickly so the signing part is hard for him.  Not to mention, motivation is hard for him...not much motivates him.  We'll figure it out though!  He WILL get there!

Quoting weirdkids:

emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Have you talked to her about your concerns?  How will she be gone soon?  Can you fire her?  I've learned from experience never to judge someone until you have first hand experience with them. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Yes, I've had first hand experience with her...that is how I've compiled my opinion written here....Maybe you missed thst? We will speak with her on Tuesday at our next session. My husband will be with us and we will express our concerns. She needs to compromise somewhat at the beginning as she doesn't know my son very well. She is a "my way or the highway" type of therapist. She does the same thing with the same approach with most of her kids and I don't agree with that. All kids are different and she needs to realize that. I'm basing my opinions on my firsthand experience...did you read my post above? And yes, she's a private therapist so we don't HAVE to use her. We can go elsewhere. It's our choice and our child. We are the parents. I'm NOT judging her without experience...he's worked with her for 2 weeks now and I've yet to like anything about her or the way she works.

Quoting emarin77:

Have you talked to her about your concerns?  How will she be gone soon?  Can you fire her?  I've learned from experience never to judge someone until you have first hand experience with them. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)