Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

How does your child stim?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
  • 30 Replies
What the title says :P
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyRJ
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Mostly he does his "whale call" LOL! He does this obnoxious sing songy thing and it sounds like a whale. Haha that's #1

He also arm flaps.
Grinds his teeth uncontrolably
Spins and spins and spins
And lays down and rolls back n forth
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Throws himself on the floor like the Three Stooges. Slides off chairs, purposely trips, punches himself, runs into walls....

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

my daughter flaps her hands a bit when she's excited, lots of eeeeee sounds

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM
My son flaps his arms, squeals, laughs, eeeee's sound, rolls on the floor, spins on the floor while looking out the corners of his eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngelicMommy_72
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM
This is new two me, what's stim mean?

Gabriel arm flaps when he's excited.... he runs in circles. he hits himself. he rips paper to shreds, or plastic bags. Or ... well anything rip-able....?
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

He jumps up and down or bounces on a ball really hard. He twirls his hair too, not sure if that is stim or not but he used to do it so much he would have a bald spot.  He used to grind his teeth when he was concentrating hard but he hasnt done that in awhile, he's chews clothes too..seems like his stims go in cycles. Right now it is pretty much just the jumping and bouncing, especially when he's excited or watching a movie/playing on the computer.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM

A few years ago Ashton ripped everything. Books, papers, boxes, bags... Eventually it stopped but it was a really rough time for us for awhile because I had to put everything I didn't want torn up. 

Quoting AngelicMommy_72:

This is new two me, what's stim mean?

Gabriel arm flaps when he's excited.... he runs in circles. he hits himself. he rips paper to shreds, or plastic bags. Or ... well anything rip-able....?

lhiannan
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Mostly, my son screeches, really really loudly. He also will sort things-the silverware is a favorite-not sure if that counts.
kajira
by Emma on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I doodle circles on paper when I'm trying to focus and stand still in the kitchen and people are talking to me.

I flap when I think. I chew on gum or anything else I can get in my mouth I can't ruin. Sometimes I spin, hop, jump and skip... still as an adult. :P

I squish my animals, I smell *everything*

I hum. I rip paper up sometimes. 

I'm sure my husband could write a much more comprehensive list about this than I could.

(I was a kid once, but as an adult, I still do a lot of stims.)

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:08 PM
My older son USED to chew everything to death and he did this thing we lovingly called "the claw." He'd bend up his fingers and place them in his line of vision and kind of flicker at the lights. He also made this sound, ticka-ticka-ticka. It's hard to describe in writing but when he made it, I knew he was in Brennen-land. LOL My younger son has started making the SAME sound! I've never ever heard another kid make it before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN