Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Question on my mind- just need info

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi all,

I've been reading up the posts daily and gather so much good info and advice daily. Thx so much.

I've had this question on my mind for some time now. Lots of the parents here have a kid dx at later age say 4- 5 years etc. and a few which are dx ealier say 18 mos to 2 yr.

Since the kids who got dx way later are they all high functioning and mild as opposed to a child dx at 18 mos.

My kids are 25 mos today and with EI they are saying few words. they point at books and say animals and know #'s from 1-10. Are they considered low functioning as they got caught early and have speech delay??

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM

In my case, my kids were dx at 8 & 12yrs.  I think the fact that they're high functioning is part of the reason they had a later diagnosis, but I think it's also due in part to the fact that the doctors dismissed my concerns over the years as I addressed their symptoms with the doctors.  Perhaps if their symptoms had been more pronounced when they were younger, the doctors wouldn't have ignored me for so long.

I wouldn't consider your kids low functioning just for speech issues.  Both of my boys had speech delays, but only one is on spectrum.  In fact, my non-ASD child is the one I had more concerns over when he was younger because he had more sensory issues, more speech delays, more frustrations.  He grew out of his symptoms, while my ASD son's symptoms grew more pronounced.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I agree with this.  Just because your kids were Dx'd earlier doesn't mean they are lower functioning, just that their symptoms were more obvious at an earlier age.

Quoting hwifeandmom:

In my case, my kids were dx at 8 & 12yrs.  I think the fact that they're high functioning is part of the reason they had a later diagnosis, but I think it's also due in part to the fact that the doctors dismissed my concerns over the years as I addressed their symptoms with the doctors.  Perhaps if their symptoms had been more pronounced when they were younger, the doctors wouldn't have ignored me for so long.

I wouldn't consider your kids low functioning just for speech issues.  Both of my boys had speech delays, but only one is on spectrum.  In fact, my non-ASD child is the one I had more concerns over when he was younger because he had more sensory issues, more speech delays, more frustrations.  He grew out of his symptoms, while my ASD son's symptoms grew more pronounced.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM

No.  I wouldn't make that assumption.  My son was diagnosed at age 3 with mild Autism.  Remember, because medical advances and the knowledge of Autism now many kids are getting diagnosed earlier.  I new something was different with my son when I put him to my breast.  He didn't like going to my breast. 

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I don't think because your children were dx early means anything. My ds was dx at 2. The doctor we see doesn't believe in labeling high functioning moderate or severe. He says those are not official dx. I think it's just happens to be when the parent or school may have questions and choose to get testing done. I was worried my ds had a speech problem and then I started noticing things like lack of eye contact and tip toeing. He would not respond to his name either. So I had him evaluated. 

KatyTylersMom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

To me the high/low functioning is perspective.  My son is my "lower functioning" child in that his sister can pass for normal in many ways and because of his language deficits, he cannot.  But he is super chill, never gets upset, loves his therapies, and is speaking some, it's just hard to get spontaneous speech and still no two-word phrases.  At 2.5 clearly he should be farther ahead than he is, but I don't consider him "low functioning" because he does most things a 2.5 year old does other than talk (rides his tricycle, chases his sister, etc.)

Also please realize that someone's ability to FUNCTION is different and distinct from their ability to THINK or FEEL or UNDERSTAND.  There are two beautiful books that make this point far more clearly than I ever could:  "Carly's Voice" and "Ido in Autismland".  Highly recommend both as fairly quick and hope-giving reads. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

These kids can change so much in a few years. My son was diagnosed at 2.5 years old. At the time, he wasn't talking and had no form of communication. Three years later, he is using a complicated communication device and saying simple words and sentences. He is a completely different kid. His teachers and therapists are always commenting on how smart he is, he just needs a way to communicate. I don't believe in high or low functioning kids. I believe in varying abilities. Each kid is going to have a strength and weakness. Some kids can talk your ear off, but will not know how to act in unfamiliar social situations. And some kids are like my son, considered low functioning until you put a communication device in his hands. 

unusualmom
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM
My kids are older. When they were dxd they were 5. Back when they were dxd they had to be about 5 or 5 year old already before a dr would evem consider observing them. They wanted to make sure early intervention and some schooling wouldnt kick start them. Both of my sons are severe to moderate asd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Telephus44
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I do think that lower functioning kids tend to get dxd earlier, but I personally have a hard time defining a child as HF or not that young.  There's still a wide range of development at age 2 even with "normal."

lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Diagnosis is a funny thing, sometimes I think you could take your child to ten different doctors and get ten different answers. In the end I don't think the diagnosis is as important as what you do with the information. As time goes on a diagnosis can change too...Sounds like your kids are doing great, learning, trying new things, hang in there and keep working with them.  XO

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My older son was Dx when he was 7.  But that was 8 years ago and 13 years ago when he was only 2, nobody was talking about autism. 

Now there are screenings and more awareness - I would assume that would help Dx kids at earlier ages. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN