Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

going to dinner

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 9 Replies

We are going to dinner tonite and i am curious of ways to make my 5 year old sit down.I hate putting him in a high chair(the only way to make him stay put) because of his size.I actually had a waitress tell me he would not fit.He is 46 inches and 77lbs.Yes he is a big boy but that was rude.Anyway any ideas so he will sit still at the table....any ideas of things to take or anything

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM

We take blocks for our ds or his IPAD these seem to help a lot. We use a high hair about 25% of the time now. He is almost 3. Also paper and a pen helps too

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Also we ask the waitress to bring crackers and his drink first. We once had a waiter bring oranges out for our son because he wanted him to have more than crackers to hold him over

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I'd bring toys or activites he can use while sitting - just make sure they aren't things he sees often. I'd make a special bag just for eating out. Fill it with snacks and coloring supplies, playdough, blocks, puzzles, ipad or itouch, books, etc. 

Would having him sit in a booster help? Maybe one w/ a seatbelt? 

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:49 PM

My son loves eating out but hates waiting for his good. When he was 5 we would have to take breaks with him and walk to the front or if it was nice walk outside. My son loves to spell so I let him text on my phone or we write on the placemat. When he was going through anxiety issues it was difficult and we didn't eat out much but now at age 8 he is doing better so we are able to go out more but he still hates waiting for his food.

Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Sit in a booth and put him against the wall.   For years we only ate at places with booths.  :)

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Anything he loves to do at home that will keep him busy! Toys, books, etc

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Hugs mama!  That was rude of that waitress to say that...ridiculous!  Hope your experience last night was better than that!  

cjsmommie98
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM

well we took the innotab but ...chilis has some interactive tablet on the table with games so he played on that still was rambuctious but ...it was doable lol

Autiziumom
by Ana on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Entertainment. Music. Movie on ur phone or tablet!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)