Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know if this is something I should mention to our pediatrician or if I'm just a bad Mom.

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 12 Replies
I know you aren't supposed to let kids under 2 watch TV, but at 14 months my son became entranced with the television. I had just had my youngest so I probably let him get away with it for too long. I tried to curb his TV watching, but he picked up our remote and Wii remote, turned the TV on and navigated to "Gnomeo and Juliet" like he had been using the remotes his whole life.

A year later we still have to watch Gnomeo several times a day. Is this just normal behavior for a kid who has been allowed TV time? Or is this a behavior I should bring up at our appt with the developmental pediatrician?

I have tried unplugging the TV, but that resulted in an hour long tantrum complete with head banging and slapping himself.
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bobsie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM
My son is addicted to tv also. I think it's normal to still love the same movie. My son is obsessed with his Ice Age movies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Mine is also obsessed with his movies and favorite shows... I think it's part of the territory because I hear so much about autistic kids and their tv or movies! And YES it's so hard to unplug... My son has very little interests other than that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Of course balance is always good, but my daughter loves her tv too. I make it productive by putting out a book of her dvd's and making her tell me what is on the disk before we can watch it. At least she's working on her speech. I think its common with the tv and kids in general. A lot of kids with autism learn words and phrases from tv and from the music on certain tv shows. My daughter can sing entire songs from some of her favorite shows. I got her an iPad, so she spends more time on that than the tv now. One thing you could do is get some really fun and educational stuff, like the leapfrog shows or Sid the science kid or something like that, so that at least he can be learning without even realizing it.

This time of year the weather is crappy out, so we do watch tv more, but I think its important once the weather gets nice to get outside as much as possible.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, you're not being a bad mom. Its natural to give in to things our kids really want, just try to keep balance as much as possible. Its not like watching tv causes autism.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Ashton is the same way until its nice out and he can run around outside

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I agree here.  Hugs mama!

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Of course balance is always good, but my daughter loves her tv too. I make it productive by putting out a book of her dvd's and making her tell me what is on the disk before we can watch it. At least she's working on her speech. I think its common with the tv and kids in general. A lot of kids with autism learn words and phrases from tv and from the music on certain tv shows. My daughter can sing entire songs from some of her favorite shows. I got her an iPad, so she spends more time on that than the tv now. One thing you could do is get some really fun and educational stuff, like the leapfrog shows or Sid the science kid or something like that, so that at least he can be learning without even realizing it.

This time of year the weather is crappy out, so we do watch tv more, but I think its important once the weather gets nice to get outside as much as possible.

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, you're not being a bad mom. Its natural to give in to things our kids really want, just try to keep balance as much as possible. Its not like watching tv causes autism.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My 2 yr old loves tv too. He's watching super why right now and he knows every letter! I like to think its educational. LOL

When he was one, we had to watch Air Buddies daily. When he turned two, it was Cars. Then Stuart Little 2. And these days it's The Polar Express.

He hasn't stayed on one for a full year. It's more like months. And he acts them out too. If the character on tv is kicking a ball, he HAS to do it and if he misses the scene, we have to rewind it! It's like he has his own little rituals for each scene. I have no idea if that is NT behavior or ASD behavior. But because of the inflexibility part, I'm betting its ASD.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Macphee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Pediatricians and parent help books give the same advice. You're the parent.
I would be careful about tv to avoid tantrums. Bad habit, tv for positive behaviors.
My son has the same favorite movie for 4 years. Diego, Finding Nemo, Shark tale, and land before time.

Nothing wrong with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I distract him with toys from the movies his watching. He'll carry that toy to bed and the next day watch the movie with the toy but, the attention is divided. Then if I found a book or coloring book, I will introduce that to him too. He's 11 now, he got other stuff that he likes to do when he gets tired of tv, computer and video games and the good thing about it, I don't have to remind him or turn on the tv, computer and video game timer we installed.

Iamsweetypie
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

My son is a young 5 we use Netflix Kids for him. In the morning before Pre-k its educational cartoons. After school its normally Woody Wood Pecker. He has spurts too of shows he likes and like others said it goes monthly normally.. Also, I noticed a lot of times hes not really watching the t.v its more of the t.v being on his shows as background noise. If you try to turn it off meltdown city which is annoying when hes in the other room playing. I mean seriously, your in the other room I turn it off and he comes running and screaming NOOOO like we are killing him.

bigmessylife
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Quoting Iamsweetypie:

My son is a young 5 we use Netflix Kids for him. In the morning before Pre-k its educational cartoons. After school its normally Woody Wood Pecker. He has spurts too of shows he likes and like others said it goes monthly normally.. Also, I noticed a lot of times hes not really watching the t.v its more of the t.v being on his shows as background noise. If you try to turn it off meltdown city which is annoying when hes in the other room playing. I mean seriously, your in the other room I turn it off and he comes running and screaming NOOOO like we are killing him.

Most days now he can walk away as long as it stays on, by it has to be on like with your son.
My husband turned on Happy Gilmore a few days ago and now my son keeps turning that on and golfing the whole time. I don't really want to encourage this, but I am so sick of gnomeo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)