Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Clipping nails

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have the hardest time clipping my 8 yo sons nails. He is higher functioning but also has sensory issues and he hates having his nails clipped. He isn't able to do it himself so I am still doing it but I pretty m uch have to hold him down; although he is getting better about having his fingernails clipped. It is getting hard the older and bigger he gets. I tired clipping them in his sleep but he wakes up easily and if he wakes up he sometimes has a hard time falling asleep. Anyone else have a hard time clipping their kids nails? For those with older kids on the spectrum when did they start clipping their own nails? How did you teach them?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

My son is 4years old. He also has autism and some sensory problems. He don't like his nails cut. I can't do them when he asleep or he will be awake. So what I do. I have him watch his favorite tv show so at least maybe I can get 2 or 3 nails done that day. Then next day try to get 1hand done. I feel like it takes me a week. 

MommaHubbard
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I used to have that same problem with my son. But now, he bites his nails down so far he bleeds. I wish I had an answer for you, I'm so sorry.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My typical dd bites her nails and so do I but not Adhton and his nails grow long quick!

Quoting MommaHubbard:

I used to have that same problem with my son. But now, he bites his nails down so far he bleeds. I wish I had an answer for you, I'm so sorry.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I'm glad I'm not alone!  I dread having to clip his nails :/

Quoting N.Carter2001:

My son is 4years old. He also has autism and some sensory problems. He don't like his nails cut. I can't do them when he asleep or he will be awake. So what I do. I have him watch his favorite tv show so at least maybe I can get 2 or 3 nails done that day. Then next day try to get 1hand done. I feel like it takes me a week. 

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

It took FOREVER for my kids to learn to clip their own nails.  My 14yr ds just started doing it in the last couple of years.  I think it's due to his poor fine motor skills.  I didn't teach him.  He just finally developed enough dexterity and interest in doing it himself.  With my kids, it was better to clip all the fingernails at once and  be done with it, but maybe you could try just clipping one fingernail a day?

KatyTylersMom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

We file their nails.  They can do their toes while I do one hand, doesn't hurt, takes a bit but better than them jerking away at the last minute and me snipping off finger instead of nail:)

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I can't remember when they started clipping their own age...maybe 10 & 12? I just remember I felt like the worst mom ever for not teaching them sooner. LOL

My son especially is BAD about doing it though. I have to tell him everytime. On Monday, I told him, go inside and clip your nails.
On Tuesday, I noticed it wasn't done and handed him the clippers. Do it NOW.
On Wednesday, I notice just one long nail and asked why it wasn't done. He tried to act like he had no idea it wasn't done but I believe him as far as I could throw him!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is only 4, so I clip his nails for him.  I distract him with toys and cartoons while I do it.  Hugs mama!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I've thought about doing that but wasn't sure he would do any better with it. Might be worth a try. Thanks!

Quoting KatyTylersMom:

We file their nails.  They can do their toes while I do one hand, doesn't hurt, takes a bit but better than them jerking away at the last minute and me snipping off finger instead of nail:)

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I could definitely see Ashton being the same way as your son..lol

Quoting mypbandj:

I can't remember when they started clipping their own age...maybe 10 & 12? I just remember I felt like the worst mom ever for not teaching them sooner. LOL

My son especially is BAD about doing it though. I have to tell him everytime. On Monday, I told him, go inside and clip your nails.
On Tuesday, I noticed it wasn't done and handed him the clippers. Do it NOW.
On Wednesday, I notice just one long nail and asked why it wasn't done. He tried to act like he had no idea it wasn't done but I believe him as far as I could throw him!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN