Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

She's back to pull- ups.

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter was pretty much potty trained and she is now 4 years old. However....she is stubborn and wants to wear pull-ups suddenly around the house. She has always refused to wear underwear. If I take away the pull-ups then she will not put on her pants and runs naked around the house ! I eventually have to put a pull up on her because it's time for lunch or dinner and it's gross not to have something on. It seems like a controll issue right now.

PS. I believe my ASD daughter also has ADHD. SHE WILL NOT SIT DOWN and has always been like this. I'm at my wits end with this today.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Welcome to the group mama!  I honestly have no idea...my son is 4 years old but nowhere near  potty training!

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What would happen if she was just naked around the house? Would she just pee on the floor, or would she go to the potty? Maybe you could give it a try and see? If that won't work, try putting the underwear on under the pull up, so she gets the feel for it, and if she pees, it will feel wet and uncomfortable. They do have pull ups that get cold when they're wet too, called Cool Touch or something like that, those can't feel good.

Fergablu2
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

My son is fourteen and still in diapers and pull-ups, but it's infinitely preferable to cleaning up smeared feces.

Autism Mom since 2001
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If she just ran naked, she would go to use the potty. She absolutely hates underwear and I know she will wiggle herself out of it and the pull-up. I guess I can try putting underwear in her pull-up when she's sleepy and ready for bed. Then she'll wake up with both on. Uggggh...the things they don't tell you before you become a parent. lol

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

What would happen if she was just naked around the house? Would she just pee on the floor, or would she go to the potty? Maybe you could give it a try and see? If that won't work, try putting the underwear on under the pull up, so she gets the feel for it, and if she pees, it will feel wet and uncomfortable. They do have pull ups that get cold when they're wet too, called Cool Touch or something like that, those can't feel good.

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Might seem strange, but I'd let her be naked then, or maybe just a long dress or nightgown and no underwear, its better to stay in the habit of using the potty than relying on the pull ups again.

Quoting AylinsMom:

If she just ran naked, she would go to use the potty. She absolutely hates underwear and I know she will wiggle herself out of it and the pull-up. I guess I can try putting underwear in her pull-up when she's sleepy and ready for bed. Then she'll wake up with both on. Uggggh...the things they don't tell you before you become a parent. lol

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 9, 2013 at 5:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Boy, do you have your hands full!  LOL!

jewel80
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Does she use the potty when she has the pull ups on? Also try different brands sizes styles of underwear the ones you have might just irritate her. With my son i have to have his cloths one size bigger, i would get a small pack of different brands and try them, let her pick the design make it a big deal that shes getting big girl panties . My son is almost 7 and he still wears pullups at night and has an occasional accident i think it just comes with the territory. Good luck :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Deb_V
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I'm having an issue with this myself right now. My 4-yr old son just out of the blue last night refused to wear a pull up or underwear. He refused to sit on the potty as well. He had a complete meltdown when I tried to get him to choose one of the options. Finally I wait til he fell asleep and put a pull up on for bed. In the morning when he woke the first thing he did was take the pull up off. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 4 1/2 & just started potty training. She doesn't like pull ups so I have to let her run naked & had to buy underwear w/o tags or scratchy elastic for her. Accidents happen but they are easier to deal w/ than meltdowns. Better to let her run naked & keep using potty than go back to pull ups during the day.
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I tried ALL kinds of underwear. She detests them. Instead...she puts the underwear on her stuffed monkey or cat.

Quoting jewel80:

Does she use the potty when she has the pull ups on? Also try different brands sizes styles of underwear the ones you have might just irritate her. With my son i have to have his cloths one size bigger, i would get a small pack of different brands and try them, let her pick the design make it a big deal that shes getting big girl panties . My son is almost 7 and he still wears pullups at night and has an occasional accident i think it just comes with the territory. Good luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN