Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My daughter was pretty much potty trained and she is now 4 years old. However....she is stubborn and wants to wear pull-ups suddenly around the house. She has always refused to wear underwear. If I take away the pull-ups then she will not put on her pants and runs naked around the house ! I eventually have to put a pull up on her because it's time for lunch or dinner and it's gross not to have something on. It seems like a controll issue right now.

PS. I believe my ASD daughter also has ADHD. SHE WILL NOT SIT DOWN and has always been like this. I'm at my wits end with this today.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Did I mention she won't wear dresses/nightgowns ??? LOL I'm serious...she won't wear 'em.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Might seem strange, but I'd let her be naked then, or maybe just a long dress or nightgown and no underwear, its better to stay in the habit of using the potty than relying on the pull ups again.

Quoting AylinsMom:

If she just ran naked, she would go to use the potty. She absolutely hates underwear and I know she will wiggle herself out of it and the pull-up. I guess I can try putting underwear in her pull-up when she's sleepy and ready for bed. Then she'll wake up with both on. Uggggh...the things they don't tell you before you become a parent. lol

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

What would happen if she was just naked around the house? Would she just pee on the floor, or would she go to the potty? Maybe you could give it a try and see? If that won't work, try putting the underwear on under the pull up, so she gets the feel for it, and if she pees, it will feel wet and uncomfortable. They do have pull ups that get cold when they're wet too, called Cool Touch or something like that, those can't feel good.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

It sounds like a sensory thing.

How about going comando? Just put the pants or shorts on, no undies?

AylinsMom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, we did that but now all of the sudden she won't wear pants if her pull-up isn't on.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting AylinsMom:

Yeah, we did that but now all of the sudden she won't wear pants if her pull-up isn't on.

Quoting MomOfOneCoolKid:

I would say go comando and have something SUPER enticing for her to wear her pants or shorts. It has to be something you know she can't say no to :)

Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Lol that funny! Emma just throws her pull ups on the floor & runs naked.

Quoting Dora-rulz:

My dd is 4 1/2 & just started potty training. She doesn't like pull ups so I have to let her run naked & had to buy underwear w/o tags or scratchy elastic for her. Accidents happen but they are easier to deal w/ than meltdowns. Better to let her run naked & keep using potty than go back to pull ups during the day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jewel80
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM
If you've tried everything just keep her in the pull ups its not horrible that she still wears them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this
Is she just wearing the pull up as underwear then? Not actually peeing in them?

Have you tried different kinds of underwear like boxers or boxer briefs? Hanna Andersson makes a nice organic cotton underwear where the elastic is hidden inside.

If its more of a control issue, I'd stop giving any attention to the issue. Cause the more she knows it drives you crazy, the more she might be determined to exercise control and keep doing it. But if you quit making it a battle, the game won't be fun anymore. Oh, and I'd also stop buying pull-ups. Eventually they'd all be gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AylinsMom
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

The only reason I still kept the pull-ups was because she ride the bus and I'm afraid of her having an accident. She also wears them on car rides. Her IEP teacher suggested that it wasn't worth the effort to "not" wear pull-ups on car rides. So yep...she's wearing the pull-up as underwear. I will check the Hanna Anderson briefs. Thanks for the tip.

Quoting mypbandj:

Have you tried different kinds of underwear like boxers or boxer briefs? Hanna Andersson makes a nice organic cotton underwear where the elastic is hidden inside.

If its more of a control issue, I'd stop giving any attention to the issue. Cause the more she knows it drives you crazy, the more she might be determined to exercise control and keep doing it. But if you quit making it a battle, the game won't be fun anymore. Oh, and I'd also stop buying pull-ups. Eventually they'd all be gone.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Here is an example of the Hanna underwear....

Original comfy fit this season! Here’s the ultimate in comfort for girls, with our famous “won’t-wear-anything-else” fit in soft, earth-friendly, durable organic cotton ribbknit which is finished with smooth flatlock seams. Gentle elastic is completely encased so it never, ever touches the skin. Prewashed. Certified by Oeko-Tex Standard 100. Imported. Set of three pair.

Quoting AylinsMom:

The only reason I still kept the pull-ups was because she ride the bus and I'm afraid of her having an accident. She also wears them on car rides. Her IEP teacher suggested that it wasn't worth the effort to "not" wear pull-ups on car rides. So yep...she's wearing the pull-up as underwear. I will check the Hanna Anderson briefs. Thanks for the tip.

Quoting mypbandj:

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I wanted to tell you that just today, I got an email that all Hanna Andersson underwear is 20% off today!!

I know they are pricy so I prefer to wait for the sales. I wanted to tell you that the other day but I had no idea when their underwear sale was. And now it's TODAY!

Great timing! LOL

Quoting AylinsMom:

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN