Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drooling

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does your Autistic child drool?  What do you do to help or contain it?  Prevent it?  If you can?  My 4 year old drools nonstop!  He is nonverbal and doesn't understand if we say to stop doing it.  Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleymichelle5
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hmm. Maybe some sensory input. Have you tried a vibrating teething ring?

ashleymichelle5
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Or even a vibrating toothbrush.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:51 PM

He won't put ANYTHING in his mouth.  He won't tolerate ANYTHING in his mouth other the baby food I feed him and his pacifier.  Now, he does let me brush he teeth in the bath tub but that's a quick process.  He absolutely hates anything in his mouth!  We've tried chewy tubes but he doesn't want anything in his mouth.  Thanks though:)

Quoting ashleymichelle5:

Hmm. Maybe some sensory input. Have you tried a vibrating teething ring?

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM

It seems that a B3 (niacin) deficiency can cause excess saliva. Does he take B vitamins?

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM

He doesn't but here's a bump for ya!

takeitall13
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Bump!  we don't have this problem :///  I hope you can find something to help.. our son puts EVERYTHING in his mouth.... sigh.   but WE can't put it in his mouth, he has to..

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Actually no, he doesn't.  He takes Aquadek...which is vitamins A, D, E, K, and he takes an extra Vitamin D but that's it.  Good though.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

It seems that a B3 (niacin) deficiency can cause excess saliva. Does he take B vitamins?

Kate00
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Does he see a speech therapist? There is a technique - Beckmann? Kaufman? I can't remember what it is but they rubbed my son's gums or something to increase oral awareness. Within 3 weeks he wasn't drooling any more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Interesting...I will check into that:) He does have a speech therapist as well as an OT/Feeding therapist.  Thanks mama!

Quoting Kate00:

Does he see a speech therapist? There is a technique - Beckmann? Kaufman? I can't remember what it is but they rubbed my son's gums or something to increase oral awareness. Within 3 weeks he wasn't drooling any more.

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Maybe it's low muscle tone?? I often notice that many times kids with poor speech also drool a lot. Would be be interested in blowing bubbles? I'd ask the SLP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)