Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I am gonna be a grandma!!!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

Just found out my oldest daughter is expecting! We are very excited. However my asd son is not so much so. He thinks his sister hung the moon. I think he will be very jealous. Even though she does have her own home and family he wants her all to himself. How do we prepare him for this?

Cindy Jean   

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

How old is he? Is he high functioning? 

The good news is that you have a lot of time to prepare. Not really knowing him or his relationship with his sister, it's hard for me to say how I might go about it. I think that I might start to make some special rituals that the two of them could do together - something that won't change just because a baby is in the picture. Some ideas off the top of my head would be: special brother/sister pen pal letters. Or facetime phone calls. It could even be something like a special handshake or greeting that only the two of them do with each other. 

There is a book called I Love You Rituals by Becky Bailey. If your library has a copy you could look for ideas in there. (Again having no idea of what your son's functioning level is, its hard to say if that is appropriate for him but either way, it can give you ideas and you can adapt from there). 

oh and also....

congratulations

cindyjean68
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I'm sorry..I didn't think about adding that he is high function autism. When my daughter still lived at home he followed her everywhere. Alot of people thought he was her child. Since she moved out and got married he has gotten used to her not being here all the time but he still has major meltdowns when she does come over and has to leave. Now with having to share her I am not sure how he will do

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Congratulations to all of you!

I think just by making him a part of all the baby hoopla is going to help him accept the new baby. Your daughter should also make it a point to spend some time with him while pregnant telling him what a great uncle he will be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN