Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

So I had the "talk" with my 12 yr old son today. He was just diagnosed with ASD a few wks ago. I told him in the simplest terms what autism is. I assured him it's not a disease, it's not something he caught. I explained to him about what his stimming is. And how he has a hard time making close friendships. He was a little upset at 1st. He was afraid that maybe he "looks" different. I assured him he doesn't. I told him he's a wonderful, handsome, smart, funny, awesome kid and that his autism is a part of who he is and that we love the person he is. So he says to me "I'll just stop flapping and making noises, then I won't be autistic anymore". And I said to him "that would make me sad because without your flapping and noises, I wouldn't even know you! Those are the things about you that make you my son."

And while we all wish our children could've avoided this whole autism thing, I know that I love each and every little thing about him. Right down to the flapping, the noises, the odd facial expressions, the clenching of the fists, the jumping, and my personal favorite........the graceful little spin he does when he's walking. To my boy I say "flap till your heart's content Ryan!".

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Replies (21-29):
bugsmama149
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww, thank you!  I know what you mean about the trampoline. It's just a part of everyday life!  Without my son's stims I wouldn't even know what planet I was on!

Quoting Basherte:

You are an amazing mom, and have an amazing boy.

If my son stopped jumping on his trampoline, I think I'd take him to the doctor's office. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Awwweee, bless his heart! Dillon gets the look of surprise from me when he's caught flapping and he always says "Sorry mommy" or "Whoopsies!, Just couldn't help myself"...lol

Dillon will be 12 in April...he and your Ryan sound so much alike!  =)

bugsmama149
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Lol, yea they do sound alike!  Any time we're watching a movie at home and an action scene comes on, Ryan will look at me and say "I gotta flap Mom". HAHAHAHAHA!!!   He'll get out there and flap away until the scene is over then he'll just come and sit back down!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Awwweee, bless his heart! Dillon gets the look of surprise from me when he's caught flapping and he always says "Sorry mommy" or "Whoopsies!, Just couldn't help myself"...lol

Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yeah me either.

Yesterday, I received a track suit in the mail from walmart. (had ordered it about a week ago-lucky us, we get it quickly even with standard shipping) Hubby also had gone out yesterday to get my son a pair of sneakers. So today, my son was wearing a brand new outfit and brand new sneakers. He was walking around with his chest puffed out all day long. His therapist commented on his outfit, said he was stylin'. :) (I had mentioned this to his bus driver, and she must have passed it along.) He did look adorable today. Black track suit with red accents, and a white long sleeve t-shirt, with sneakers that are white with black and red accents. 

My son (Conner) tends to prefer track pants, sweat pants, regular pants to jeans. I prefer pants to skirts. But if the jeans fit well, then I prefer them. I think for my son it has to do with the jeans being a little stiff. Maybe if I can find a pair of jeans (or more than one pair) that are worn, he might like those too. It really doesn't bother me what he likes to wear, that's on him. I'll get him whatever he wants. So long as it doesn't require me to get a loan to buy it.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Aww, thank you!  I know what you mean about the trampoline. It's just a part of everyday life!  Without my son's stims I wouldn't even know what planet I was on!

Quoting Basherte:

If my son stopped jumping on his trampoline, I think I'd take him to the doctor's office. 

wedding countdown

bugsmama149
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Sounds like he was pretty proud of his new outfit! When my son gets a new pair of shoes he likes to put them on the kitchen table and just stare at them. Then when he puts em on he likes to check himself out in the mirror alot. You know, doin the checking himself out from every angle thing. Handsome little men they are!

Quoting Basherte:

Yeah me either.

Yesterday, I received a track suit in the mail from walmart. (had ordered it about a week ago-lucky us, we get it quickly even with standard shipping) Hubby also had gone out yesterday to get my son a pair of sneakers. So today, my son was wearing a brand new outfit and brand new sneakers. He was walking around with his chest puffed out all day long. His therapist commented on his outfit, said he was stylin'. :) (I had mentioned this to his bus driver, and she must have passed it along.) He did look adorable today. Black track suit with red accents, and a white long sleeve t-shirt, with sneakers that are white with black and red accents. 

My son (Conner) tends to prefer track pants, sweat pants, regular pants to jeans. I prefer pants to skirts. But if the jeans fit well, then I prefer them. I think for my son it has to do with the jeans being a little stiff. Maybe if I can find a pair of jeans (or more than one pair) that are worn, he might like those too. It really doesn't bother me what he likes to wear, that's on him. I'll get him whatever he wants. So long as it doesn't require me to get a loan to buy it.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Quoting Basherte:

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Awe I love that! Dillon has a yoga ball he bounces on that goes they so much abuse... Sometimes he flaps and bounces at the same time ... I don't have the heart to tell him to slow it down until I see he's about 6 inches from knocking into the ceiling!! Lolololol

If it brings him a little happiness... Why not, right?

Quoting bugsmama149:

Lol, yea they do sound alike!  Any time we're watching a movie at home and an action scene comes on, Ryan will look at me and say "I gotta flap Mom". HAHAHAHAHA!!!   He'll get out there and flap away until the scene is over then he'll just come and sit back down!

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iamadramamomma
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Wow u moms r great I'm still in the very early stages of this....trying to get used to it I haven't gotten there just yet I'm trying so hard... I tell him ever day how much I live him and that he is my angel boy.....I guess it just takes time getting used to I hope someday I will b where u r all at.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yeah. Mine likes to chew on things though. So I can't allow him to play with them. I showed them to him this morning though, and he reached out and touched them. Then he cooperated with getting ready for school like normal. 

The last week or so he wasn't as enthusiastic about getting ready for school, but it wasn't because of school, it was because of his sneakers. They were getting a little tight.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Sounds like he was pretty proud of his new outfit! When my son gets a new pair of shoes he likes to put them on the kitchen table and just stare at them. Then when he puts em on he likes to check himself out in the mirror alot. You know, doin the checking himself out from every angle thing. Handsome little men they are!

Quoting Basherte:

Yeah me either.

Quoting bugsmama149:

Quoting Basherte:

wedding countdown

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM

love it  sounds so cute.....how old is your son?  my daugther would try to walk like a dog... she finally out grew it  it took alot work to.... she loves animals.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)