Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Bath time is terrible time!!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
My daughter has never ever enjoyed bath time. Expectually when you get her hair wet or try to wash her hair. She is now 4 1/2 and it takes my husband & I to wash her hair. She is to big. It is almost impossible. I need help. We have tried everything we can think of. He screams like we are truly hurting her & it breaks my heart. I just can't take much more of this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaurieMomof4
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Bath time has always been awful for us too. My son is 5 yrs 10 mths now and we've got a system where he understands if he leans back enough I won't get his face wet, I keep a towel right there to blot his face of any splashes. We can get through most baths now without any crying.

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Has she been evaluated for having a sensory integration disorder? It can be quite painful or uncomfortable to deal with at times. I can get headaches pretty quickly in some loud situations that do not bother others which only go away if I remove myself from the situation. You might want to look into sensory integration therapy under an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation to try to add it to her IEP.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Autistic Social Story Author
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/ (has discounts)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing.  Hugs OP!

Quoting dawncs:

Has she been evaluated for having a sensory integration disorder? It can be quite painful or uncomfortable to deal with at times. I can get headaches pretty quickly in some loud situations that do not bother others which only go away if I remove myself from the situation. You might want to look into sensory integration therapy under an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation to try to add it to her IEP.

hwifeandmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Can she tell you what is is about getting her hair washed that bothers her?  If it's water in the face, then you can try a bath visor.  If she doesn't like lying down to wash hair, then let her sit up and tip her head back while you pour water on her head (or vice versa if she doesn't like water poured on her head).  You can try incentives, such as letting her use bath paint after her hair is washed.  Put a mirror in the tub, and let her see herself getting her hair washed -- maybe let her do part of the washing herself.  Good luck finding something that works.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is 11 and we STILL use a bath visor. Thank goodness I was able to find one that REALLY stretches...lol. It makes all the difference in the world...trust me!

kaiser10123
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM
My son hates bath time but a trick I use on him now is a) run bath water first while he's away b) lots of toys and bubbles to direct his attention away from what's going on c) I'll either bathe him alone or with his 7 month old brother which he enjoys d) wear a bathing suit and get in with him e) play his favorite kid songs ( bring radio in) and wash him quickly if he's really upset...as you can see I was in the same boat and tried all these things :) bath time is so my h better good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Try using dry shampoo.  Sprinkle it in, brush it out.  No water required.

VioletsMomTown
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I put a rubber mat under where my daughter sits in the tub, she sees it as a visual to see the floor of the tub I suspect. I have to bathe with her. I have a good selection of toys, sometimes bubbles, and I use a cup to rinse her hair as I lean her back on me. We sing songs and sometimes for a treat I'll light a candle and turn out the lights. When my daughter used to dislike baths, I started getting her into it by bringing in a portable dvd player and we watched a cartoon while having a bath. She actually loves the bath now, she comes running when I say its time to take a bath. Good luck!!

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Our 2 year old is the same way... he LOVES bath time EXCEPT when you go to wash him, ESPECIALLY his hair, its a nightmare, he stands there with his arms out at his side, fingers wide SCREAMING, we've found that towel washing the hair works a little better but we also have a boy and we keep his hair short so thats possible for us, not really for a little girl ://////    I know exactly how you feel though, its terrible to watch and to have to "torture" them :/

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

we're going to have to ask about this too...   ds has trouble with baths and the sound of vacuums and fans... I know I get uncomfortable- to the point of wanting to rip my hair out with certain sounds like a tv left on the AUX channel, people chewing food, animals licking.... ://// 

Quoting dawncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN