Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

slaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
  • 11 Replies
So how many of you that have asd kiddies like to hit punch or slap themself when there angry mad sad frustrated????? Even if its once in awhile...... mine does and I know he does it only when he has reached his point of frustration or when he had a corner time out he will hit himself in the face because he's mad and he knows I don't like that so we have the keep ur hands and feet to yourself but don't use them on yourself talk
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Ds will slap objects or hit his head on things like walls and cabinets. His OT believes it is frustration because he doesn't know how to sy the words he wants to use. So we added PECS to his therapies. You can try to add them to see if it helps. 

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Mine. He will hit himself or bite himself. It's part of his anxiety/depression I think and it really worries me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My 9 year old son sometimes slaps himself in the head when he's frustrated, especially when he's frustrated when he can't remember something.  While it is definately harder than a friendly tap, he's not hitting himself hard enough to cause injury. 

I address whatever is frustrating him, if possible.  Like, if we are doing math homework, I let him take a short break, and we come back to it.  If I don't know what is frustrating him or if there is nothing that I can do to address whatever his issue is, I just let him slap his head.    

ms.bardes
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Good glad I'm not alone ; ) and mine is the same way hits himself but never injures himself but hard enough that I have to stop him and explain to him that he could hurt himself so he does stop
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My 2 year old will smack or scratch herself if I am out of reach.  If me, her dad or her sister are within reach she goes for us first...but if we step away and she is really, really frustrated, she will throw herself on the floor, scream and scratch, pinch or smack herself.  I've even see her pull her own hair.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Sometimes my 4.5 year old hits me or my husband, his father only when angry.  We just teach him to keep hands to himself and say I'm angry if he is.  He is doing better at it now.

Kalic0
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM

My son was a HUGE head banger and teeth grinder when he was younger and would at times throw himself into the wall. He still bangs his head sometimes but usually only against pillows or the padded back of the couch. My son also used to slap himself sometimes (though never punch). He also used to chew on basically everything including his own hands, figures and sometimes would bite. He does not do the slapping, biting and very little chewing or teeth grinding. When I talked to his therapist and teachers the consensus was that it was probably a combination of frustration and the desire for deep pressure to calm himself (except for the teeth grinding and chewing, which was figured as a need for oral sensory input).

He had deep pressure, wieghted blacket at night, and oral motor sensory added to his therapy and it really helped.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Dillon would bite his arm when he got frustrated sometimes but actually grew out of it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Yes...my 4 year old will smack himself in the face or punch his own legs.  It breaks my heart:(

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

that must be very hard to go threw..  how do you handle that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)