Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

leaving the nest yes or no?????????

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
when my son grows up will he be able to have a somewhat normal life????will he leave the nest get a job get married???or will he be with me forever?? I look at him and think he will be with me forever there is no way this kid will make it in society without me......anyone else feel this way?? I would love for him to have a normal life guess I won't know til that time comes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kinshipcaremama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM
My son is 22 and we are just now starting to talk about him moving out. There is an awesome apartment complex that is only for people with developmental disabilities. The people have their own apartments but they have resident advisors who help with life skills and mentoring. Needless to say the waiting list is very long. I'll keep him home till he gets in because I (and he) don't want him in a group home.
ms.bardes
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM
That's awesome I hope your son gets it exciting....I was just thinking way down the road just wanting to know everyones plans of what they would do or are doing for there kids thankyou
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

my moms boyfriend is high functioning aspie, he has a son who he can take care of and owns his own home..  he also holds down a job though he DOES have trouble at work when it comes to filing paperwork, BUT hes VERY accomplished, he has 2 masters degrees- the one he now uses is in social work :)  A future is definately possible :)

ms.bardes
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM
See that makes me feel so much better.....I hope that's my son in 20 yrs lol because that's pretty good for a normal person
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We are fairly confident that our son will live with us forever, and we are okay with that:)

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I have the same fears as you do. I often wonder if my ds will ever to live on his own or if he will always have to live with us. I am fine with him living with us but it would break my heart if he never falls in love, marries and have a family of his own. I have heard of the places where they live on their own but all decisions are still made by the parents. I don't know what we will do. I guess only time can tell.

ms.bardes
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Me and my husband agreed and expect our son to be with us forever too but if by chance he gets to be independent well than that would be great
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
I think of that everyday of my life! I pray and hope it is possible for all of our children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
she-ra2000
by Deborah on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I feel like my son will be able to live on his own, he's high functioning aspie, but then again I don't really know because he doesn't really like being around most people.So don't know if he'll get married. But, if he doesn't we'll be right there for him, and his older sisters too.

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM

you have just made me smile hearing that. thank you so much for sharing i have a daugther that is nine  ...  if you dont mind me asking  how did you get him to clean his room..  lol   sorry  my daugther well not do anything  iam always picking up after her  could u please give some pointers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)