Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Has anyone had problems with their child sleeping? My child has ADHD and there are times when she either won't sleep at all even at night or sleep for over 12 hours at one time. I feel as if her brain is just giving out when she goes to bed at 5pm and doesnt wake up until the next morning. I am unsure if this is part of Autism or just the ADHD. I still have not had a doctor recognize my concern for her unusual sleeping habits. Granted there will be times when she is on a regular schedule but it only last for a few weeks then back to not sleeping, over sleeping, a constant cycle.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I can completely identify with this. My son goes to sleep at 9 p.m., wakes up at 4 a.m. and is wide awake. The doctor tells me constantly, kids need 10-14 hours of sleep a day. I'm lucky if my kid gets 8 hours.

We tried melatonin, it did not work at all. The only way he can sleep through the night is having a warm bath before bed. I have even tried lavender oil for aromatherapy, nothing. I give him a soothing tea with catnip and chamomile. My husband tried giving him st. john's wort for his serotonin uptake irregularity, whatever.... nothing works.

I have stopped fighting this. I make sure that he is full enough before bed, we take a bath. I massage his body. We read a story, he goes to bed... and I just hope that he will at least get 7 hours if nothing else. I have no idea what wakes him up. The sun is not even up yet.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I've heard this a few times about the melatonin-- that they fall asleep fine with it but still wake up--- my father suggested it because his gf's grandson uses it to help him sleep (he has adhd and autism).. but i'veheard from quite a few people that they still wake up..

Quoting jthompson1976:

melatonin did not work for my daugther  yes it would help fall asleep only sleep for 1hours   that when doc tried   depressant way   i guess used for a lot of things.. works great for my daughter

ahmom19
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Thanks for letting me know what you have experienced. Currently I am giving her melatonin and it seems to be keeping her asleep throughout the night. I will see if she cant do this on her own next week so we wont be so dependent on a pill at night. Thanks again.

ahmom19
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I am glad to see that I am not alone. I have woken up early in the morning too just to find her wide awake and watching tv like it is normal. She doesnt seem to mind being the only one awake, I try to get her back to sleep but like you 6-7 hours would be an amazing feat.

sadiebug1228
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My daughter is 13 months and isn't autistic but she doesn't have a diagnosis yet. She has nightmares and doesn't sleep. The past 2 weeks have been horrible so her dr told me to give her Benadryl every night to help til she's old enough to take melatonin. I feel bad for drugging her but I know it's not good for her not to be sleeping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jthompson1976
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM

i hear you.  i have 16 year old with adhd   has gotten better. he keeps self bussy  but he has always even when he was a baby go bed 8pm wake up 5 or 6 am... he is a worker ...    then my 14 year old son has adhd and add  he would stay up all night it was night mare...   i do have to say  adhd does get better  or im just use to it lol  .. then my daugther asbergers and adhd... she did not sleep...   14 year old and my 9 year old are on depresent medication that really helps with sleep,...

ahmom19
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your advice and experiences. It has given me a lot to think about and something to talk about to the doctor next time. I really appreciate it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
A_McCool
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I've always had issues sleeping on and off.  When I was a kid, I remember getting up at 4 o'clock in the morning and watching Mr. Wizard reruns while everyone else slept.  As long as I was quiet, my parents didn't make a big deal out of it.  I've never been able to really sleep unless I was under a rather large pile of blankets year round.  If I get hot and uncover myself, then I can't sleep.  My husband laughs because Nyquil knocks me out for exactly 2 hours then I wake up and feel like I took speed.  I was cleaning the house at midnight one night.  I've tried melatonin a few times, and it does nothing to put me to sleep; however, it makes me feel groggy the entire next day after I take it.

Anyway, my husband got me a weighted blanket, and it is awesome.  It came yesterday so last night was the first night I slept with it, but it was the best I've slept ever.  I took a nap with it yesterday, too.

Kate00
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:08 AM

My son will sleep great for a few weeks, then have a few days where he's up all night.  So frustrating!  A couple of things that have worked for us - one is magnesium and zinc supplements.  I've talked to some moms who have had good luck with epsom salt baths at night but that didn't seem to make a difference with my son.  Another one we do is a LOT of exercise.  We live near Disney and take him there and have him walk for miles. The physical activity reduces his stimming a lot too - I think maybe it provides some sensory input.

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Mine has the hardest time sleeping or staying asleep...I do too so maybe it's genetic. I SWEAR we're going to try melatonin...I hear the best things about it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN