Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Introductions

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi, I also joined yesterday.  I have two young sons, my 6-yr old with very high functioning autism and my 4-yr old who is non-verbal and definitely demands a lot more attention and help.  I'm a single mother of 4 children.  My daughters are 19 and 17 so are more independent but they still need their Mum at times.  It's hard because I feel like I'm spread so think at times.  I moved here from Canada when I married so when I divorced I really didn't have a support system in place.  That's one reason I decided to join something like this.  Perhaps I could get some much needed advice and support?  I'm also back in school full-time.  Between that and the boy's developmental school, speech therapy and getting my youngest into OT  life is just a little hectic!!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  I joined for the much needed support too-- some days are just SOO much to take esp since we're waiting on evals for a diagnosis yet AND have NO IDEA how we should be going about punishing or getting him to STOP certain behaviors...  Do your girls help you a lot with your sons?  Sounds like your schedule is VERY filled <3  Hope this group helps you as much as it does the rest of us <3

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Welcome to the group!

MommaHubbard
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally understand! I am also a single mother! My ds is 5 who is high functioning and my dd is NT but is having some difficulties academically in school right now. I live in Texas because my ex-husband got stationed here so, I have no family here either. And now, my ex has moved out of state so, we are very alone. We also just got ds's dx in January so I've been dealing with the beginning of Autism by myself too. Because of the divorce, I had to go back to work full-time and I'm still trying to complete my BS degree in Geology, minoring in Biology. If I can pass this last class I'm in now, I will be done in May. I'm also trying to rush to get into graduate school next fall. So, I definitely understand being spread thin all the time! My son sees a psychologist (for the divorce) once a week, a psychiatrist every other month (for meds he got received from a day treatment program he had to attend requested for him by his school) and I just pulled him out of public school a few weeks ago to start ABA therapy full-time during the day. He is supposed to get screened for OT and ST within the next few weeks there too. This life is crazy busy!!! But everyone in this group has been insanely helpful and extremely supportive! These ladies are AWESOME! Welcome to the group Deborah!

Deb_V
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Hi,

My 19-yr old daughter is off at college now, doing her own thing so she's not home to home.  I think she's relieved by that!!  My 17-yr old does help as much as she can but she also has AD/HD and depression so she's got her own set of problems to deal with and she demands a lot of attention as well :)  Thank you so much for making me feel welcome.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Welcome!  It does sound like life is hectic right now for you.  Are your daughters able to help at times?

N.Carter2001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Welcome to the group !  I joined this group after we got told our 4year old son has autism. At 1st he really did not say much. Only a few words. In April he will be 5 and he is doing a lot better with talking. He starting to put 2words together. We working on potty training. We have a 1year old son. I think he teaching his big brother to talk. And they finally play together .  Jacob gets pt, speech and ot .

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Welcome to the group. My name is Carissa. My 8 yo Ashton was dx when he was 3.5. I also have a 6 yo dd Madelyn and a 1 yo son, Jackson. Life is very, very busy!

ms.bardes
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Welcome to the group yeah I have 4 kids too.11 yr old daughter who is the biggest help in the world a five yr old step daughter my five year old autistic angel and my 3 yr old son.very very busy....I hope u get all the info advice and support that you need ; )
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Welcome to the group! I'm so glad you joined!

Oh my do you gave your hands full! I give single moms so much credit, but single moms of special needs children are just amazing.

My youngest is 11 and very high functioning.... This group was an easy fit for me and is full of advice and support!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow you have your hands full! Welcome to the group - I hope you can find the support you  are looking for here. This group is filled with some wonderful ladies. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)