Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need advice with asbergers along with adhd...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

my daughter is aspergers with adhd... so picky with clothes.. underwear and socks..  for get about bra.. clothes i could care less... .cant get her to clean her room,  so picky about her food   all she wants is junk....  does any one have any advise?   how do you make aspergers child my depend-it well they just grow out this stuff? or will i be cleaning her room for ever..  my daughter will not use blanket sleeps on top sheets and covers with sheet  i usually wait until goes to sleep shoes she hates ties  she does like furry boots is your asbergers this picky? 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this

It really sounds like she has sensory integration issues. These problems can be addressed through Sensory Integration Therapy done by an Occupational Therapist. You should request at her school an Occupational Therapy evaluation to be included in her IEP (http://www.wrightslaw.com/). You can read for more ideas about her diagnoses at http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/ (great information database) and http://www.chadd.org/.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Hugs mama! No advice but I wish you the best! 

MommaHubbard
by Shannel on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:09 AM

My son has adhd and asperger's. I am having him screened for OT since he also has similar issues. Good luck!

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM
My son has Aspergers and ADHD and sensory processing issues too.

I think you need to look into OT for her sensory problems and then start picking your battles. Think about each thing and decide if its worth the fight or energy. Things like not sleeping under a blanket would be something I'd let go. But cleaning a room is a life skill and I'd start working on that right away.

My son is in 9th grade and there have been things he has been challenged with in the past (like taking notes at school) that his IEP addresses but now he does it all on his own. I asked him yesterday, what happened that he can now take his own notes. You know what he told me? He said, before I had never tried it and I was just being lazy. O.O

He told me that he just decided to try it and its not that bad. So while clearly some things these kids do are related to their disability, other things are not! They are just behavior based and need to be handled as such.

As far as the food goes, your responsibility is to provide her food. Once it's prepared and on the table, your job is done. She gets to decide is she will eat it or not.

I have some friends that are constantly switching their family diet to vegan or not and back and forth (I don't agree with all the switching around cause the kids never know what food plan they're on) but anyway, once they switch to a new food plan, all their kids quit eating for a few days (they don't want the new food) but then they start eating. So while I disagree with how often they are switching diets, I see how the kids DO adjust. You just need to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jthompson1976
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM

oh i no this sounds bad  my daugther has that at school i didnt really no they work on those things  thank you for telling me..   the lady comes once a week  i dont ever see her...i will get ahold of school tomorrow

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM

i would like thank every one for sharing with me i dont no what i would do if i didnt have this to come to ...

girl_incognito
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:03 AM

School OT doesn't usually work on sensory issues though, you need a private OT for that :)... School Ot works on things like motor issues, ya know handwriting, shoe tying, etc....

My son had ADHD and Aspergers (and he has SPD as well), it's a tough mix, but it does get better. Thing is you can't really force her into certain clothes ( I understand that's not your worry) or things that are just too much for her senses, it's cruel and she can't help it. But you can get a better understanding of how to help her. Over time some of the sensory issues may lessen too, it's not like she exactly grows out of them, but just like with any child, they do grow, change and evolve. What is an issue today may not always be an issue. 

Also as for cleaning... look into executive dysfuction... it's common with ADHD and ASD,it's not a seperate disorder, it's part of it all...She may come off a lazy and unmotivated, when actually she is having executive functioning problems

Quoting jthompson1976:

oh i no this sounds bad  my daugther has that at school i didnt really no they work on those things  thank you for telling me..   the lady comes once a week  i dont ever see her...i will get ahold of school tomorrow

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:15 AM
This somthing they get tested for . I want to help her all I can
jthompson1976
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM

she doesn't want clean up after her self.like her bed room.i do it all the time am looking for way to teach her how do it her self. seems to threw her in to a melt down.. every thing is a joke to her.. when she is in tub she well go from one end to the other laughing then i get frustrated just trying get shampoo out hair that she doesnt get out   is that apart of her asbergers ..im just trying to find ways to help her more and have a better understanding

she-ra2000
by Deborah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

My son hqates shoe laces but we have gotten him to wear them and tie them, picky eater,mostly ramen noodles and chicken nuggets,cereal, only veggie he'll eat is corn and fries,loves bananas, and chips. Doesn't have too much trouble with cover, used to have trouble with certain shirts when he was a toddler, but 8 now and doesn't anymore. I guess it's just a part of aspergers, more than just being spoiled. Hope this helps :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)