Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Sick and hitting

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 4 Replies

So yesterday ds was screaming about everything. Some of the screaming was meltdowns because he so desperately wanted to let me know something and I couldn't figure it out. Tried all kinds of foods and drinks, holding him, movies etc. nothing worked. He had been throwing up the day before so I thought maybe his tummy. Well the screaming got worse. I decided to dress him and take him to ER. When I tried to put his clothes on he began kicking hitting and scratching me. I finally got him dressed and he fell out on the floor screaming. If his sister was close enough he would kick and hit her.  Got them in the car and he is screaming bloody murder. He is screaming so much he could barely catch his breath. I called his dad and told him to meet me at ER. I am shaking by the time I get there. My anxiety is sky high. He is screaming when they try to take blood pressure and temp. I explain he has ASD and that he has sensory issues. You would think the nurse would have been gentler. Nope she just wanted the vitals. Turns out he had an ear infection. He is almost 3 and has never had one. I guess my question is does your child become violent when sick?  I have never seen him this way. I am working on PECS cards to hopefully alleviate these kind of issues in the future. 

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Macphee
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs mom. Yes and yes. It's heartbreaking when your child is in such pain and can not express. Its almost as if the slightest touch is even more painful for our sensory sensitive guys. My son went through almost 1 1/2 years of ear infection and he was the same way. When he had allergy issues, the congestion and sinus pressure was so much for him that he would bang his head. He would then try to headbutt you to make you understand where he was hurting.

When things are like this, honestly. Comfort toys, food. I even let my son just watch his favorite cartoons, anything to soothe him. If I tried to touch him, he would kick and scratch me. I would just cry when my kids went to bed, because I felt helpless. It's a horrible feeling for us mommy tigers.

Try to work with him on signing. It doesn't have to be formal. You know, learn pain, thirst, hunger, and tired in sign. My son would eventually indicate where it hurt. But if your kid has sensory issues and you try to physically soothe, its not soothing for them. My son would scream worse. We let him roll on his stomach on a Pilates ball or swing. Even brushing on his arms. Massages. They'll fight a sensory diet at first, but their brain needs to be soothed and stimulated in various ways.

Its harder when they're non-verbal, because its a process of elimination that way. You are doing a fantastic job.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

HUGS!!! We've never had him be that sick before but when he gets hurt, stubs his toes, etc he will do this, or during diaper changes, if he has a rash its a 2 person thing because he will literally passout from kicking and screaming so hard, its AWFUL... and yes, if baby sister gets near him when its happening he will kick her and push her :/  I would have been VERY upset about the nurse, did you report her?  I understand she has a job, BUT...   How is he doing now?  ::hugs::   Poor little man <3

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

No didn't report her. Just wanted him to be better. He is feeling much better today. They gave him amoxicillin. He has been taking it like a champ

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Poor little guy!  I'm so sorry he felt so under the weather and couldn't tell you what was going on (and shame on that nurse).  I hope he's feeling better soon.

To answer your question, my son gets violent when he needs shots or when he's hurt and needs stitches, but not when he's sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN