Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

public school

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 8 Replies
Just found out my son will not be able to attend his autism school when kindergarten starts. He will have to attend public school. I worry about him being a nonverbal 5 year old and adjusting to being at a Neuro-typical school that won't understand his autism and why he does what he does.My 5 year old isn't even potty trained yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You do not have to worry about him being potty trained because it does not matter at all in his case. He will still have an IEP (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) along with a Special Education teacher at some point in his day probably and his therapies. His classroom placement will be based on the Least Restrictive Environment Principle, and it will be based on the best environment he can learn in. If he is in the mainstream or inclusion classroom, you will want to make sure he can have sensory breaks on a regular basis. You should also check out http://www.autism-society.org/ and http://www.autismspeaks/.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Hugs momma. What happened?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jthompson1976
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:35 AM

hugs  it well be ok.. i no its so scary sending child off to school..not knowing   may be you can volinter some time at the school

drpatriot
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Fight like hell to get him in the autism school. DO NOT let him into public school. NT schools are NOT set up to handle us. Anything worth having is worth fighting for and this is one of them. Become a Grizzly Mother.

jewel80
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I agree dont send him to public school please! There are alternatives! Homeschool , public charter school, maybe a private school has scholarship , if the public school doesnt have a class for him (with other non verbal with teachers who get it) then they have to pay for private school! Public school is no place for someone who is non verbal too much could happen and you wouldnt know! My son is verbal(aspergers ) and i homeschool through public cyber charter school his teacher emotionally verbally abused him at the local school i will never send him again! Please find another way for school there are too many heartless people out there!

Quoting drpatriot:

Fight like hell to get him in the autism school. DO NOT let him into public school. NT schools are NOT set up to handle us. Anything worth having is worth fighting for and this is one of them. Become a Grizzly Mother.

desperatemom123
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I agree do your best to find out if your school has a life skills class make sure about the IEP do not let them lead you you have to be in control nobody will help you. You are your child's advocate. Do not sign anything without reading it first. The school is not on your side believe me. You can get an educational advocate for your child as well. These are things to look into before you enroll him. Do not let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do for your child. Good luck.
LaurieMomof4
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

What kind of programs does your public school have? Ours actually has a very good special education program with special day classes seperated for high functioning and more severe kids. My son is currently in a kindergarten program with 15 high functioning children from all over the district. We will be moving him to private school next year because our other little one goes there, the ratios are better and he can get more therapy on site, but the public school program isn't bad by any means.

Telephus44
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I would find out more about the special education program at the school he's going to.  Some are wonderful, some are horrible.  What kind of classroom environment will he have?  What kind of teachers and instruction will he have?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)