Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Is it even possible to provide the amount of therapy the diagnosis advises?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello Moms,

My 4.5 year old was "officially" diagnosed last week and when I read the psychological assessment and a  recommendation of a minimum of 25 hours a week of ABA, OT and Speech I panic.. I've spent a week calling clinics, therapy places and have gotten no where near even getting him an appointment for an evaluation. The thought of not being able to give him what he needs kills me but how long does it take!!! I just started the process with the school district and have many meetings setup and an IEP fo rmid April but that could mean no therapy till May! My son at 18 months did Speech and OT for delays untl 3 and then he tested "normal"   I had mentioned autism concerns but was told over and over again that " they didn't see that for him" and I didn't want to see it in him either. Well it's obvious now so I'm in full focus of trying to get him help but it is a maze! Everyone is nice as can be but too booked. I never knew how prevalent autism is until now. I'm hoping I can read and learn about ABA and if I have to try to do it myself as long as there is no way I could harm him?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Replies (11-15):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Hugs mama! It's very overwhelming at first but things will calm down eventually. My son gets 10-12 hours per week of therapy between OT, PT, Speech, Feeding, and ABA therapies. Plus he's in a special Ed school for half days 5 days per week. He is doing well and I'm confident you will get things set up in due time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

My son gets most of his therapy at school. We do take him for hippotherapy (horse riding therapy) once a week. He gets speech therapy and OT on horseback. He loves it. It is overwhelming at first. Sometimes, I think parents will have their kids in too much therapy. It can be difficult on kids sometimes if they get so many different therapies. Go with your kid. You want to push him, but not push him over the edge. Talk to the school district to get all those therapies going, and keep looking for outside therapy as well. But don't feel like you have to do everything at once. There is such a thing as too much.

Reina67
by Lisa on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM
My 4.5 yr old gets 31 hrs ABA a week and 30 min speech a week. Hes supposed to be getting OT, but theres just not enough hrs in the day. Plus i want him to still be a kid.
lasombrs
by Sara on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Part of that 25 hours is you doing things at home as well. My son had the same recommendations but for actual time in therapy he goes 1 hour OT at easter seals, 2 1/2 times to OT a week in School and 2 1/2 times to speech in school. But we work on things at home and they said him doing school work and talking in normal class time (or trying to) counts as him working on it, idk :/ I can't find a place that does aba near me and when i asked the autism coordinator at easter seals about the 100 day kit we were given when we were first diagnoised she said a lot of that simply isn't do-able and she wished they didnt still recommend people read the packet :(

prinsteph
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Have you tried reaching out to CARD(Center for autism related diseases)? From what I understand they are nationwide, and a great resource.

I have a question though too, is it standard for the DX to state the number of hrs of rec therapy? Ours did include rx's for slp, ot, pt nothing about number of hours or an rx for aba/floortime etc. Also is aba/floortime generally included in the school therapy services? We are going to be re-evaluating the IEP soon. We did do Floortime through early steps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN