Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Does anyone have trouble with an ODD teen. Boys particularly.

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 14 and has Aspergers and ODD and many other diagnosis.  He is very big he is 6ft tall and weighs 290 pounds. He is very aggressive to me and his Grandpa. And very disrespectful to any adult who tries to correct him.  They say they don't have these problems at school but he can change in a split second. I pick him up from school and immediately he starts kicking me in the back and hitting me in the head with his fist and then thinks he is going to get a reward for it. I DON'T THINK SO!! But my dad bows down and gives in to  whatever Jacob wants. I have no control, it's like this is Jacob's world and we should be thankful that he lets us live in it. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. HE IS NOT POTTY TRAINED AND DON'T WANT TO BE,

WHAT DO I DO?

frustrated

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Welcome to the group.  Is your son seeing any kind of therapist at all?  There are those that specialize in kiddos with the conditions that he has and that can help give you some advice and support.

(((hug)))

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Honestly - I would consider an anti psychotic.. there's not many times i'd recommend medication, but in this case, I would speak to your doctor about resiperdol.

My son has OOD type behaviors, potty issues, rage-type behaviors, ODD behaviors, personality-type disorder issues, plus voices and other things on top of being argumentative and defient - and the medication took away almost all of his extreme issues in a way that made dealing with him - he will ask for his meds and beg us not to forget it now because it makes *his* world so much better too.

As to the school stuff - by the time he gets home, he may so overstimulated, that may be the only way he has to tell you he's overwhelmed from school - a reduction in stress, plus meds to help reduce his anger outbursts and help reduce mood swings/stress/anxiety may improve his ODD behaviors as well.

SAMI_JO
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Yes he has tried Risperdal , now he is on Abilify, Clonidine, Lexapro, Topamax.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Emma on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:03 PM
The behaviors you are talking about, if meds aren't helping, you may want to consider an inpatient facility to help him. We've had doctors talk to us about inpatient for our son for his particular behavioral issues that are a side effect of his disorders.... If meds hadn't made such a drastic improvement for him, he wouldn't be able to be safe in our home.... I know it's a hard thing to consider, but a child his size, who'd attack you the way you are describing who's not having success with meds making it drastically better and still having such extreme violence towards his family.... It may be time to consider an inpatient facility to get him more stable.... They can do wonders for some kids.... It's not something I'd recommend unless absolutely needed, but if you try meds and he's that big and he's still lashing out, it may be time to consider other options for him to give him SOME chance to learn and get stable.
Quoting SAMI_JO:

Yes he has tried Risperdal , now he is on Abilify, Clonidine, Lexapro, Topamax.

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN