Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

today made me sad

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 18 Replies
I had an ortho appointment my two year old was with me, she sometimes gets upset when people mess with me. Today was one of those days, she was screaming and I couldn't calm her down my sister finally just removed her entirely. The doctor was giving us the worst look ever. Then as I was waiting I hear him say "she needs to get that kid under control. That screaming was very obnoxious".

I broke down, she's not like every other child I'm sorry she got upset but to make it seem its my fault kills me. She's autistic, I'm sorry that she's not perfect. I had no other choice but to bring her and I did remove her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAMI_JO
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Girl I been in your position and even had the cops called on me because he was disturbing the other people.

People who don't walk in our shoes, deal with what we deal with, they don't know and should keep their mouth SHUT!

If you wanted his opinion you would have asked for it. You did what you had to do and he can get over himself. I welcome him to even try to deal with my 14 year old for 24hours and not come back and kiss your feet, for what a good job you do. He would be paying me to take mine back.LOL

hugs

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

The one thing that I have observed over time even among the most educated in society is that people can be ignorant about disabilities unless they become disabled themself or a close family member. Some colleges and universities do not train certain profesionals well enough to deal with disabled clients, patients, or students at times. Medical doctors are not trained in every disability or diagnosis out there trust me on that one. I know this is sad, but I have seen it too many times over time happen.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

kaygarcia97
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Thanks for the hugs. He just really irked me

Quoting SAMI_JO:

Girl I been in your position and even had the cops called on me because he was disturbing the other people.

People who don't walk in our shoes, deal with what we deal with, they don't know and should keep their mouth SHUT!

If you wanted his opinion you would have asked for it. You did what you had to do and he can get over himself. I welcome him to even try to deal with my 14 year old for 24hours and not come back and kiss your feet, for what a good job you do. He would be paying me to take mine back.LOL

hugs

LaLa_Ivory
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM
one day, we went to walmart, not a store we fancy, but it was an emergency trip. lol.
anyway, we're on line to check out, and DS starts having one of his fits, screaming, throwing things off the shelf at us, and flailing around like a banshee...
the people behind us were looking at me like i was nuts, started laughing, and said "kids shouldnt be having kids, they have no boundaries, no rules. if that was my kid, id knock em from here to kingdom come"
and i just stared at them, lip quivering, and i started bawling my eyes out... in front of SO many people.
DH got so upset, he shook his head at the people, and told them before they judge, think about whether or not a kid has a disability, one that we are learning about and learning how to cope with. and kept going on and on.

it was awful. felt like such a freak show =/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnns
by Johnna on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Is it bad to just warn people ahead of time, " doc, she has special needs, I really don't know how this will roll, so please be patient". With the fits and what not, its not that obvious, to the outside world it probably does appear that their rotten. Doctors visits, beauty shops, situations in which you have to take them, give them a heads up. Save yourself hurt feelings. As far as strangers in parking lots, ext..who cares what they think?
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs  I probably would've yelled at that doc, he sure didn't have any tact!

I hope the rest of your day goes much better.

blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Did u tell him anything? Something along the lines of, 'due to your insensitivity to my child who has (fill in te blank) I will be finding another ortho'.
MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I'm sorry mom. I know the feeling.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

ds is not confirmed yet but we're 95% sure he has autism, I've given a prewarning a few weeks ago though, I felt awful but I didn't know how the day was going to roll.  I had to get my IUD checked out at Planned Parenthood, where I had it put in, I had an appt, 9 am, showed up at 8:45 to sign in.. they told me my appt was going to be postponed for 2+ hrs.  I HAD to get seen, I was having pain and spotting, wasn't sure what was going on and had been spotting for over a week- i have a hormone free IUD, so spotting shouldn't be an issue.. I told them that I have both my kids with me and I have to be seen today but I didn't know how my son would behave, we think he has possible autism and once he is "Done" with something its VERY downhill....  luckily someone SAW that I had both babies with me and went up and told them I could have her spot, I still had to wait over an hour but when I came out the lady was still waiting, I thanked her MULTIPLE times and ds only had 1 freakout and luckily they had a nurse come in and stop it before it truely got started..

Quoting johnns:

Is it bad to just warn people ahead of time, " doc, she has special needs, I really don't know how this will roll, so please be patient". With the fits and what not, its not that obvious, to the outside world it probably does appear that their rotten. Doctors visits, beauty shops, situations in which you have to take them, give them a heads up. Save yourself hurt feelings. As far as strangers in parking lots, ext..who cares what they think?

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

PS I'd definately call and leave a detailed complaint on that dr.  and switch to a new one. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)