Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum
I had an ortho appointment my two year old was with me, she sometimes gets upset when people mess with me. Today was one of those days, she was screaming and I couldn't calm her down my sister finally just removed her entirely. The doctor was giving us the worst look ever. Then as I was waiting I hear him say "she needs to get that kid under control. That screaming was very obnoxious".

I broke down, she's not like every other child I'm sorry she got upset but to make it seem its my fault kills me. She's autistic, I'm sorry that she's not perfect. I had no other choice but to bring her and I did remove her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-18):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That was very uunprofessional of him. I would find a new dr. Hugs!

Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM

He could have handled that a lot better. The easiest and quickest way to lose a patient (and their money) is to insult them or a family member that is there with them. He should have been more professional and asked if there was anything that you needed for your child, and not said what he said no matter how he felt about the situation.

wedding countdown

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Hugs mama! I'm sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeroKarr
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I totally understand what you went through. I'm sorry. You did the right thing. If the doctor doesn't understand... his/her problem! I'm pretty sure they felt bad after you told them.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You would think that he would have had more important things to do than comment on your child. I would definitely look for another ortho. I wish you hadn't endured this momma. Sometimes people just don't understand what we go through. How hard certain situations can be for our children. At times I feel like I need to explain my child has autism other times I want them to tell them to mind their own business.  society has a perfect picture of how kids should always behave when out in public.  Instead of our children and us trying so hard to conform to their expectations they should try to be more understanding. 

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Sorry :(

strmrayne
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I was in a store and my son was upset about something and crying loudly. This was before we knew that he was Autisitc. I was trying ot calm him down and a man walked up to me and said, "you know what he needs? A spanking!" I just walked away but the more I thought about it the more it bothered me. People have no boundaries. He had no idea how stressful my sons day had been and now that I know he is autistic, I know it was even more stressful than I even knew because we didn't know how to handle him at times! 

lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM

As a doctor himself you would think it would occur to him that your child's behavior was out of the ordinary and that she might have a reason for being so upset.

My Xhusband and a doctor were once joking and laughing while my son was screaming in fear at an appointment to have a cast taken off his leg. I was so angry that they couldn't see how upset this child was RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM! Since when is an upset child "obnoxious?"

Sorry you had to endure such insensitivity.  XO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)