Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Hi:) I need help with my 12 year old son lying and not doing his homework

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi
My 12 year old son with high functioning autism has been having trouble in school . He is in 6th grade . My ex husband has been grounding him ,:( because my son has been lying to his teachers and not wanting to do his homework . So he has been getting lunch detention and is not doing well . I don't think this is helping him at all . Can anyone please help ?
I want my son to do well :)
Thank you
RobinH.
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kajira
by Emma on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Do you have an IEP or 504 plan setup with the school?

supermomz25
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

my son, who is HFA too, went through the exact same thing in 6th grade. he didn't do his work, he would lie about it, etc. my husband and I took away all of his privileges, no TV, no phone, no video games, etc. he had to come home and sit in front of us and do his homework. he had his counselor and principal checking in with him regularly and he would have to stay after school and get help from his teachers. it was hard, but in the end it worked. now he is in 7th grade and is doing much better. he does his homework and he turns it in on time. he had slipped a few times, but he admitted it right away and took the consequences. we are so proud of how far he has come since last year.

RobinH.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Hi
Thank you :) yes , he has a IEP plan . I'm going to make an apt with his tracking teacher soon to see what's happening . It's hard because my ex husband doesn't communicate to me - we are recently divorced :(
And the grounding isn't working :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobinH.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I feel like punishing him isn't helping - any other ways ? I'd appreciate - its been hard
Thank you :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bluerose1482
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Many HFA children who never had problems in school are overwhelmed by the transition to middle school.  Instead of having 1 teacher and 1 enviornment to get used to, they might have as many as 7.  They just feel overwhelmed and sort of shut down.   

Request an emergency IEP meeting.  Ask that they ammend his IEP to require his teachers to communicate his in class and out of class assignments to you by e-mail or to keep an up-to-date homework page (our school requires teachers to have a page on schoolnotes.com and update it weekly).  When you know exactly what his assignments are, there is no way he can lie to avoid doing them.  If a teacher gives him a "0" when they haven't notified you of the assignment, just notify the tracking teacher and principal of the IEP violation and suggest that the teacher notify you of the assignment and give your son time to make it up without grade penalty.     

Is he going to resource?  If not, I would request that they ammend his IEP and provide resource minutes.  It'll give him a safe comfortable place to *be* AND it'll give him a teacher can easily communicate with his teachers and keep track of assignments. 

Good luck.

theresa1966
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Welcome to my world. I just went to parent + teacher conference ...my son is getting D's and F's . But she told me he is doing better with his read if puts his mind to it....WTF....you look at her and wonder were did she go to college....Crack Jack college..LOL..My son has a IEP...they have main stream him pretty much all the way. I told them when he gets home I am getting all the rage that is buliding up in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)