Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Have you ever complained about a therapist?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm at my wits end with the Speech therapist we were assigned.    She is the best friend of the coordinator so I think any complaining on my end will not result in anything.  My son only has 3 months left before he moves on to another agency's services when he turns 3 so it isn't much longer we're going to have to deal with her but I'm tired of playing her games. 

First of all she never wanted to work with us because we are out of the area she usually works in.  It is about a 20 minute commute for her to our home which is not a whole lot.  We've worked with her since November, she's cancelled at least 3 times that I can think of.  If I cancel 3 times I lose my services.  Plus she's been over a half hour late at least once without even calling to let me know she'll be late.  My son and I do like to go out places so we sit around waiting for her only to have her cancel when we could have been doing an activity. 

I know another family she works with and her excuses for cancelling never seem to match on the same exact day.  One minute she's sick, she has something personal to do, and she seems to have a very ill young daughter.  I'm not saying she's lying, I hope she wouldn't make up a lie about her child being sick but she uses that very often with us and the other family I know. 

I personally think she's either lazy or just as I mentioned before sees us as an inconvience.  I personally don't care if we don't see her again but it's cheating my son.  She's cancelled the past two weeks.  I asked her would she be making those hours up and she said no, she has too many clients to make up missed appointments.  Speech is his biggest issue so its sad he doesn't seem to get help.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (11-13):
Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM
So your son has gone three weeks without speech therapy? If it were me, after giving it a bit of thought, I would meet with the coordinator and let her know that the LAST thing I want to do is cause trouble for a single mom who is obviously struggling, but that it is totally unacceptable for my child to go without speech therapy for 3 weeks. I would ask her to help us find a solution, including meeting some where closer, perhaps working with a different therapist, or changing therapy to a more convient time for the therapist.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I would complain about it.

My son's speech therapist always called if she was going to be late. Most times when she called she was calling to see if it was okay if she came early as someone else had cancelled on her. 

We loved his speech therapist. When she came over to see us for the first time, she came inside our home, and introduced herself. Then said that she would like to observe for the first day. See how things go. Then she asked us a few questions, which she seemed to be impressed that we had a lot of information for her. We were then interrupted by our son who picked up a toy that she had brought with her and walked up to her and handed it to her. (his way of asking her to work with him) he had never done that with anyone else. He almost sat on her lap that day as well. 

So she went with it and worked with him while asking us questions in between. Paying more attention to our son. He walked her to the door when she left, and actually cried when she was out of his sight. The next week when she came he smiled at her. He had rememebered her after seeing her only once and wanted to play right away with her. 

I would definitely complain.. Just tell them that you don't feel that she is a good fit with your child that your child doesn't seem to be getting anything from the therapy and see if there is anyone else that can come.

wedding countdown

officiallyapeac
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I think you should file a formal complaint to the coordinator. It isn't fair to your son , because he desrseves quality services. I went through 2 speech therapist, and 3 occupational therapist. What maight happen is that your son could start acting out the way my son did to his previous therapist. That was my son's way of showing me that he was feed up with the whacked services that he was recieving in speech.

Nip this problem in the bud...ASAP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)