Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

please help son is literally pulling out his hair!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 24 Replies
My 6yr old son has aspergers, adhd, fine motor delay, speech delay, chronic constipation , asthma , eczema. His anxiety seemed to be less, his anger stress he really seemed to be doing better lately. He takes adderall celexa zrytec flonase miralax and melatonin. I homeschool him through a cyber school he doesn't go to daycare or a babysitter he is with me 24/7 so i see all his moods, he use to bite his nails til they bled but using redirection i helped him stop. He still bites them but he knows when to stop. Recently he started playing with his hair twisting it around his finger then pulling . I told him you're going to pull your hair out, he said no i wont. Well he now is getting bald spots :( he doesnt even realize he is doing it, and redirection hasnt worked yet he wont mess with anything else! The doc told me its trich....something i have it written down. She is sending us to Atlanta which is 2hrs away! But im so worried and dont understand everything ive read says stress related well he's been doing so well lately! It also says may run in family , well as a teen my mom pulled out her eyebrows and eyelashes to this day she has none, and about 8yrs ago she went bald for about 5yrs bc she pulled her hair out, she never went to the doc about it, but she said she didnt want to do it but she couldn't stop! I dont want my son to be bald! His hair is shoulder length and thick he always gets complimented on it and now he is getting bald spots :( i just dont know what to do to help him! Also just to let you know i will not punish him or negatively do something to get him to stop so please dont suggest anything like that. Im not trying to be mean i just wont punish him for something he isnt doing on purpose. He loves his hair he wants to keep it, he hates it cut, but lets me brush it bc he knows you want long hair it has to be cared for, so he really likes his hair! Ive tried giving him the squishy ball toys all sizes, colors, shapes, ive tried getting him to play with his favorite toys, play dough, even stuffed animals that have hair nothing has helped! Please if anyone has any ideas or has gone through this with their child or even done it themselves please any help would be great! He's been through so much and things calm down and start to get better and this happens! Im just at a loss i want to help him but dont know what to do! I know this was a long post, thank you for reading it! And excuse any spelling or errors i typed this on my phone!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jewel80
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Bluerose1482
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Try taking him to hobby lobby or some place similar and let him try touching different fabrics and yarns.  Maybe you'll find something that he likes more than he likes his hair. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Hugs mama! Do his therapists have any ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diane122
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

My son did this as well.  We tried gentle reminders to stop, but any attention to it seemed to make it worse.  Finally, we gave him a buzz cut so he wasn't able to grab any hair.  It broke that habit for as long as it was short, but then he started on the eyelashes.  He stripped one eye completely.  He would do it when he was concentrating, but the worst time was when he was tired and falling asleep.  I would see hair all over his pillow in the morning...  He might like, as my son did, fidget things that have a sharp, hard or rough texture.  The school put velcro under his desk for him to rub.  He would hold Lego men and rub those.  Soft, squishy, smooth or furry things never worked for him.  I think the painful sensation is more what he's looking for, thus the hairpulling.  He also bites his nails and the skin around them till they're sore.  Good luck - hope this helps a little.

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM

That is a lot of medication. Have you ever tried doing natural therapy, like changing his diet and giving supplements?

letstalk747
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

clipper cut his hair to short to grab

haybreez02
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM
My 10 year old dd does this, started a few months ago. She is completely bald now, she wears.a hat everyday. :( wish I had a answer.
takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:04 PM

we cut nekos hair too, he didn't put it out though but he use to tug on it a lot.. now I let him play with mine but hes not aloud to yank it out, just touch it.. definately recommend cutting it down to around a number 3

jewel80
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:35 PM
He use to bite his nails til they bled, I'll have to try harder fidget toys, thanks. I had a talk with him about his hair and he actually told me he doesnt want to pull it out, but he cant help it he cant stop. He said he wants his hair cut!!! Ive been trying to get him to get his hair cut for about a year now! Im just worried he will move to eyelashes and eyebrows. I havent had the appt with the therapist yet, just his pediatrician she is sending us to Atlanta im waiting for them to call with the appt.

Quoting diane122:

My son did this as well.  We tried gentle reminders to stop, but any attention to it seemed to make it worse.  Finally, we gave him a buzz cut so he wasn't able to grab any hair.  It broke that habit for as long as it was short, but then he started on the eyelashes.  He stripped one eye completely.  He would do it when he was concentrating, but the worst time was when he was tired and falling asleep.  I would see hair all over his pillow in the morning...  He might like, as my son did, fidget things that have a sharp, hard or rough texture.  The school put velcro under his desk for him to rub.  He would hold Lego men and rub those.  Soft, squishy, smooth or furry things never worked for him.  I think the painful sensation is more what he's looking for, thus the hairpulling.  He also bites his nails and the skin around them till they're sore.  Good luck - hope this helps a little.

jewel80
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM
The melatonin is natural, the zrytec and flonase are for his allergies without them he has sinus infection after sinus infection its bad ive tried to not have him on it but he needs it ive tried vitamin c didnt help, i tried the zinc doesn't help. The adderall he cant concentrate without it, he cant sit even for 5seconds his adhd is bad, its not his behavior that he needs the med but he literally cant sit for 5 seconds and he do school work he is just all over the place. The celexa he is on for depression anxiety anger, he is happy now, less angry and frustrated he is a completely different kid on it i was not wanting him on it but when i saw the difference in him and how much it helped. With changing his diet i cant he would starve. He has sensory issues and he is very picky about his his food, sometimes he cant even sit at the dinner table with us bc of how the food looks or smells, i usually make him something different than us, since its a sensory issue with the food its not just him wanting to eat what he wants. Also we are in ga and allergy season hasnt stopped! We are from pa and in the winter i would stop allergy meds here we cant i tried and he just kept getting sick.

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

That is a lot of medication. Have you ever tried doing natural therapy, like changing his diet and giving supplements?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)