Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nekos Evals Part 1 (OT/PT)

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 5 Replies

So Neko had his first set of Evals this morning, OT with Dana and PT with Sherry.

First was OT-  she couldn't get him to build with the blocks or write on the paper for him, he kept telling her NO, I don't like it and for it to go away.. I filled out a question sheet out while she was working with him and answered some stuff verbally, all in all went pretty good but she said she wanted to keep watching him during his PT.

PT was next and Neko FINALLY got into it after a little while, Sherry- who I found out is my neighbor from literally down the street- got him down to his diaper running around with her-- there were a LOT of meltdowns BUT when he was having fun he was having a blast.  She said physically his hips, and legs are just how they should be but his feet are very flat but that could be from a fat pad that usually goes away around 3 or 4 years old, so they want to re-evaluate him in a year.

Dana, OT, said Neko definately has a LOT of sensory issues, something about defensive sensory??  She even recommended some type of brushing every 2 hours and said WHEN he gets his diagnosis that she would supply us with one and how us how to use it- she said it gives them a clean slate and helps them accept new imputs? or something like that?  She said she didn't want to jump to conclusions but was pretty sure after the first few minutes of working with him that she feels he is on the spectrum.   She also recommended not forcing him to change anything until we have an OT and therapist to work with and said because he is SO regimented that she thought a visual clock would help him accept changes a little better because he would physically see them coming.  She also gave us a 70 page copy of a book on sensory issues to "Educate" ourselves on and told us about a few support groups to check into.

Sherry, PT/neighbor, said that she also feels that he is on spectrum and was very upset that our dr did not give us a referal or at least a Number a year+ ago when we started asking questions.  She said its possible they didn't want to concern us with something that may be nothing but that they should have helped us when we asked- which I agree with but Neko LOVES his dr and sometimes it takes a long time to warm up for him.. defiantely thinking that over though :/

So our next set of appts Psych/Speach are March 5, and today I felt that it went well, I feel as though I got a lot of helpful advice and am RELIEVED to FINALLY be getting some help regaurdless of any possible/future diagnosis'.  Just thought I'd share about our first eval, thanks for reading! <3

---Heidi

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kinshipcaremama
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM
I'm glad things went well today but Im surprised the therapists said they think your son is on the spectrum. When my son was evaluated none of the doctors or therapists would state their opinion until they had the team meeting.
blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Our OT was the first to tell me that my son had sensory issues. I read up on it, but he fell into each category a lil bit, so I was still confused. His therapist has been able to explain it a lot to me and I better understand. She explained that his brain in like an inbox and when it becomes too full, when he is getting to much input from the environment, he will does things like hop up and down or close his eyes to try to filer the info and re center himself.

My son has defensive sensory input to wet hair. If he touches a strand of wet hair, he does like it and needs me to take it off his hand. His OT explained that to us it might not feel like anything, but to him he feels his 100x more.

There's a support group here of CM called Moms and their Sensational Kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
takeitall13
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

yes, i was surprised too- granted i'm pretty sure he is too after a lot of research and talking to other mamas-esp since i didn't know WHAT to expect today.. but she said that we definately need to do our psych eval but she said she was marking that thats what she thought on her paperwork- the PT said that she wasn't recommending him for PT BUT that she also say was the OT was seeing too.  I'm not sure how it works where we're taking him, just very thankful for the help that we're getting :)

Quoting kinshipcaremama:

I'm glad things went well today but Im surprised the therapists said they think your son is on the spectrum. When my son was evaluated none of the doctors or therapists would state their opinion until they had the team meeting.

takeitall13
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I will definately look that group up, thank you!  My son hates HIS hair wet, bath time is like we're going through hell when we wash him and I saw something about a visor BUT i know he wont let ANYTHING touch his face so that, unfortantely, isn't an option yet with him..  I  am definately going to be doing a LOT of reading today when the kids take their naps <3

Quoting blessedhappymom:

Our OT was the first to tell me that my son had sensory issues. I read up on it, but he fell into each category a lil bit, so I was still confused. His therapist has been able to explain it a lot to me and I better understand. She explained that his brain in like an inbox and when it becomes too full, when he is getting to much input from the environment, he will does things like hop up and down or close his eyes to try to filer the info and re center himself.

My son has defensive sensory input to wet hair. If he touches a strand of wet hair, he does like it and needs me to take it off his hand. His OT explained that to us it might not feel like anything, but to him he feels his 100x more.

There's a support group here of CM called Moms and their Sensational Kids.

MomOfOneCoolKid
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Glad to hear you're getting good help :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)