Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2/15/13- From 10:30am-2:40pm my son was put in.............

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 35 Replies

ISS!! Even though it is stated in his BIP that he is NOT to go there! at 2pm I got a call from the ISS "teacher" saying that I needed to come get William. I asked "why is he in there? Where is Mr. Gray?" (Mr. Gray is the teacher that William is supposed to be sent to if he needs to be removed from class). The ISS teacher replied with "He is having a useless day and giving the teachers headaches" .... Needless to say that I was furious! I went up to the school and instead of going to the ISS room to get my son, I asked the front office if Mr. Gray was available. Guess what? He was! (Mr Gray is a teacher and also Williams case manager) So, I explained the situation to Mr. Gray and he went to the ISS room and got William for me (I didnt think Id be too polite if I went in there), and also told me that he would get to the bottom of why the teacher sent him to ISS in the first place. The BIP was sent to ALL of his teachers last week. It specifically states that he is NOT to go to the ISS room and it states the 2 places he is supposed to be sent to. The real kicker here is that the teacher that sent him to ISS is the 1 teacher that showed up to and sit in on the BIP meeting!! I did bring William home even though Mr. Gray said he could stay. William was not in the mindset to finish out the day after sitting in ISS room for 4 hours knowing that he was not supposed to be in there. *taking deep breath* Thank you for letting me vent! I needed to let all that out!

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Report that idiot of a teacher to the board. Who says that about a student anyway? 'Having a useless day'?? Really?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes it is for the best when something like this happens because we find out what is really going on at school. Sounds like Mr. Gray will get to the bottom of it but maybe it wouldn't hurt to show up unannounced again in a week or two to see what is going on...not cool! "Having a useless day" come on, that teacher should be put on notice, that is completely unprofessional. Good luck, sorry!  XO

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

That is the way he talks to me every time I have to deal with him. To William he is even worse. He has said to William "What is the point, your not going to do it anyways" When William has asked for class work! I have told the principal and countless other teachers about the way the ISS "teacher" talks to my son and myself. It is the reason why my son is NOT to be in the ISS room! Sooooo ridiculous. He should NOT be around kids in my opinion. He came to the school after working in a youth home. He must view all kids as deliquents(sp?)

Quoting blessedhappymom:

Report that idiot of a teacher to the board. Who says that about a student anyway? 'Having a useless day'?? Really?

mommaTLC186
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Mr. Gray said he agrees with me on my opinion of the ISS "teacher" and has assured me that he will get to the bottom of this to prevent this from happening again. I REALLY hope he keeps his word. I was shaking mad when I was driving up to the school!

Quoting lucasmadre:

Sometimes it is for the best when something like this happens because we find out what is really going on at school. Sounds like Mr. Gray will get to the bottom of it but maybe it wouldn't hurt to show up unannounced again in a week or two to see what is going on...not cool! "Having a useless day" come on, that teacher should be put on notice, that is completely unprofessional. Good luck, sorry!  XO

blessedhappymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Those are the worst things to say to a child. Words will negatively affect children more than if they are hit.

I would definitely shine some light on this fool. He shouldn't be working with any type of kids at all.

Good luck and stand firm in this battle.

Quoting mommaTLC186:

That is the way he talks to me every time I have to deal with him. To William he is even worse. He has said to William "What is the point, your not going to do it anyways" When William has asked for class work! I have told the principal and countless other teachers about the way the ISS "teacher" talks to my son and myself. It is the reason why my son is NOT to be in the ISS room! Sooooo ridiculous. He should NOT be around kids in my opinion. He came to the school after working in a youth home. He must view all kids as deliquents(sp?)

Quoting blessedhappymom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I would have been shaking too but in the end I think it will be for your son's best interest that you kept your cool. Hard to do I know but making enemies isn't always in your best interest. I do think it would be fair of you to ask for an apology from the offensive teacher who made that ridiculous comment. That is the least they could do...maybe good will come from this in the end. Meantime treat yourself to something nice...you deserve it for not loosing it!!  XO

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM
4 moms liked this

There are no useless days, just useless teachers...

vstil
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Document, document, document everything.  You can be nice and BTW, good for you for holding your cool, but be sure you write things down clearly and to the point. Keep statements such as "I Feel" out of the documentation, and write down straightforward facts. Times, dates, names, - all of it.  If in the future you need to make a case, or point, or carry a solid conversation with BOE, it's good to have your documentation laid out.

Documenting will also help you keep your cool because you'll go into an "observational" type mode.  

Buy a spiral notebook and start the process... it'll help.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I would demand an explanation from the teacher. As you stated she was in the meeting and knows firsthand what the requirements were. Sounds like she decided to take it upon herself to change his BIP. I hope things get better for him at school. 

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

You have to be firm with the school and remind them that a BIP and IEP are a binding contract between you and the school in regards to educating your son. It can be upheld in court in a legal lawsuit. They are legally obligated to follow it. Otherwise, they can be sued for not following it. There is always paperwork or documenation regarding ISS. Remind them how would they feel if their contract was being ignored by the school district, and they would probably hate the thought.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)