Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Needing some advice

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi ladies! I have a 6 1/2 year old son who has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and Aspergers. He is currently getting speech and OT treatments and is doing very well now. My concern is with his younger brother (20 months old). He seems to be doing everything faster than his older brother (walking, eating, climbing, throwing a ball, building things), but the only thing I am having trouble with is his speech. I cannot get him to talk. He does make babbling noises, but doesn't really say words. He ended up having to get tubes put in his ears at 10 months since he had an ear infection that we couldn't treat. I talked to his pediatrician at the last appointment (18 months) and they were wanting to wait a tad longer before making any diagnosis just in case he is a slower talker because of the tubes or his brother talking for him. He knows his name and comes some of the time when called, but he's at that stubborn age where he wants to do what he wants some of the time. He does let us know when he's hungry or thirsty by whining and showing us his cup or trying to go towards the kitchen. Has anyone else had any children with talking issues at this age and it ended up being nothing? I just want to ensure he doesn't have something like aspergers going untreated. I plan on making an appointment with his ENT doctor soon to have his hearing tested and to discuss my concerns with them as well. Thank you for all your help ladies.

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I recommend getting him evaluated by the school district for Early Intervention (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) services. It is free and includes speech therapy if necessary. You need to contact them in writing and request for an evaluation for Special Education Early Intervention services and outline his problems.

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

A dear friend of mine's third child did not say much of anything until he was three. Then, out of nowhere he started talking in sentences. When she asked him why he had waited so long to talk he replied "everybody else was talking too much for me to make room."  How cute it that?

Stephanie3804
by Stephanie on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. Would he have to be diagnosed with a condition like aspergers in order to receive the help through the school system? The only reason I ask is because I didn't see speech impairments on the conditions list. I can also ask the pediatrician about getting him evaluated by the speech office my older son is going to as well.

Quoting dawncs:

I recommend getting him evaluated by the school district for Early Intervention (http://www.wrightslaw.com/) services. It is free and includes speech therapy if necessary. You need to contact them in writing and request for an evaluation for Special Education Early Intervention services and outline his problems.

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Given the nature of his ability to communicate with out big sentences, I can say that my 2 year old went through a phase were she didn't talk much.

she can sign and use language, but it took me not giving her what she wanted unless seh tried to use words that nipped the not talking in the butt.

Why would she talk when she could communicate wtih out using words and her older brother always butted in for her?

She's 26 months now and is talking a bunch - but between 15-20ish months, she didn't really talk hardly at all, I was concerned her speech was behind since her oldest brother is special needs and I'm autistic and don't talk very much.

It took a little work on my part to encourage her to speak, but once we did, she started talking a lot more. It also helped to have her around our neighbors 3 year old and 5 year old girls because they never shut up when they play with her. LOL

dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:23 PM

At this point, he could get it based on speech delay if he meets the qualifications of it. He might lean more towards High functioning Autism instead due to the speech delay along with the change of diagnostic codes and criteria. There is always the chance that it could be a genetic problem in which it could have passed onto your younger son on Autism. You could always get an outside evaluation for Autism and Aspergers Syndrome, but it takes time to get.

Quoting Stephanie3804:

Thank you so much for your reply. Would he have to be diagnosed with a condition like aspergers in order to receive the help through the school system? The only reason I ask is because I didn't see speech impairments on the conditions list. I can also ask the pediatrician about getting him evaluated by the speech office my older son is going to as well.

Quoting dawncs:

Dawn
Beautifully Talanted Asperger Syndrome Writer
Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome as an adult
Diagnosed Edema (since young)
Author Page: http://www.toyboxunlimited.com/

joel2010
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM

okay hun.. i have a son who is just starting to talk about now and he is almost 30months. We started out with ASL (sing laung.)  and we got to the piont unless he use a sign or talk if he did not have to have the food or drink he did not get it this is what his workers told us to do with him.  He has been tested for the austicm and all we have not heard back yet totla we have been told yes but not heard so we know that at the end of the month but we have also change things with food not ttolat taking the geltuin out oand all but he does  not get alot of it at home also we do not do persverdes or addives.  so all the cannned good.  our food is fresh frozen or what we canne ourself  and that has help but i would look into getting earlier invention for you little one at  less start there frist befroe pushing for anything else on dx that is how we have been doing it but not to the piont for us for insucent to do much more we have to have a dx

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:02 AM

This!

Quoting dawncs:

Myspace Comments

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:05 AM

My son also had severe ear infections and had tubes twice. I also blamed it on his hearing for his slow progress in speech. But the whole time I also knew he was autistic....He's almost 12 now and talks my ear off!LOL!

You can persue the ENT for sure, but have him evaluated for Early Intervention also so he can receive speech! Good luck!

Stephanie3804
by Stephanie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I don't think he has straight up autism since he's doing so much more than my son who has PDD-NOS and Aspergers, but maybe he has Aspergers and that's why we are having trouble with the speech. I try not to compare my boys, but it's easy sometimes to tell the differences. I will try and get him an evaluation soon.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

My son also had severe ear infections and had tubes twice. I also blamed it on his hearing for his slow progress in speech. But the whole time I also knew he was autistic....He's almost 12 now and talks my ear off!LOL!

You can persue the ENT for sure, but have him evaluated for Early Intervention also so he can receive speech! Good luck!

Macphee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You have every reason to be concerned. I would say listen to your instinct. Check his hearing, because that could be it. If he has hearing trouble (and infections cause them at times), it would be challenging for him to learn language. I would say still take him to a ST, because he should be using sounds towards words. If he's a late talker, extra support will help him out more than not. If he talks on time, no harm. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)