Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Change in schedule = Complete meltdown

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

What a day... No school so the scheduled changed... and what happens a complete meltdown. I keep a good schedule for my son, and when things change I have to be extra careful with his triggers.. today with no school it was one battle after another.. We had speech today and we had a complete meltdown with kicking screaming.. and it was just horrblie.. I had to sit on the floor and squezze him and rub his arms and back wiht deep pressure to calm him down. I had to be calm to calm him down.. and it took everything out of me... BUT we got him to refocus and finish the speech appointment... Transitions and change in schedules are hard....

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Hugs!  My son struggles with schedule changes as well...it's hard!

supermomz25
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM

so true. my son is 12 1/2 and he deals much better with change than he used to. I always try to warn him as far ahead of time as possible and that seems to soften the blow. he still sometimes will act out and have a tantrum, but it takes him a lot less time to calm down.

jewel80
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Get a calendar with big squares and write what needs to be done each day and go over the week everyday tell your child today we do this, tomorrow this, the next day etc. The night before tell your child remember tomorrow we have to do this and this writing it in a calendar and repeating it before the day of. It doesnt always help but sometimes it does, sometimes it takes time, it took my son a long time and he still resists but not as much and the meltdowns arent as long and sometimes he doesnt have a meltdown at all because he knows what we are going to be that day, they need to be reminded a lot before the day of. Good luck
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I know what you mean. I am not looking forward to ds going to speech and ot next week. He had to miss the previous week for an eval and then yesterday for a holiday. He had to miss last week aqua speech because of an ear infection and is going to miss this one too because of it. He will be in complete meltdown mode when he has to go back to either of those places.

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

BIG HUGS  I know what you mean about changes in schedules.. the hardest part for us is when ds SCREAMS in our face, its awful-  it makes it hard to stay calm :///  I hope your day gets better <3

Dora-rulz
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Sorry yesterday was so hard. Dd didnt have big meltdown yest w/o school but had a really hard time getting up for school this morning. Hope he is doing better now that he's back in school. I am not looking forward to summer vacation!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joel2010
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

so with you my son who is jsut going on 30months has meltdown with changes it is hard and the nite route has to be kept the best

jthompson1976
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

hugs

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Hugs!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Im sorry hon :( We had a change today, and it was hard. I had to lay on her for a good 30 minutes to get her out of it :( 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)