Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave of Absence from work?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

I need to take a leave an absence.  My son has Autism and is regressing his younger brother has behavioral issues and speech delay and possibly sensory issues.  My oldest NT boy is acting out in school and they may put him with a social worker also I have an 8 month old baby girl who seems fine for now.  The point is I feel I am neglecting my oldest because my other boys have so many issues one I am constantly trying to stop from banging his head and tearing the house apart and the other I am trying to get him involved in OUR world or get into HIS world he is considered non-verbal.  I am conserned my youngest will imitate some of her brothers behaviors she seems more NT my middle 2 I saw issues early on.  My point is I feel bad guilty and worried for income purposes I need my pay to survive but my kids need me now.  I feel like just quitting my job today.  Any advise tips or inherited income anyone would like to share lol!

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Big hugs mama! You need to do what is best for YOUR family! Good luck!

LIMom1105
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wish I could tell you what the right answer is, I know how you feel!  I've been thinking about leaving my job for months--a leave of absence really isn't an option here.  I do feel if I had a few months away, that might be enough, and if it's not, then I'd leave for good. So I totally understand, but of course, you need to make the choice that is best for you and your family. (hugs)!

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM

What about FMLA?  it is unpaid.  I know that you can take it intermittently,like for dr's or therapist appt's for the kiddos.  My DS 5yo ASD .  I have worked very PT since he was born.  DH works FT and carries the insurance.  DH had a 6wk period of unemployment,so then I picked up more hrs at my job.  DH works night shift now,big change,DS goes to Full day K,I need to drive him to and fro M-F and be around so that I can pick him up if he gets sick at school.  So,right now,I am basically a SAHM.  I could not do anymore right now.  Even w/him in school FT,there is so much to be done.DS is moderately affected by Autism,he's a handful,and i am emotionally and physically drained w/just 1 kiddo.  Hats off to ya.  Does your self injuring kiddo take meds?  Maybe consider.  DS has a psychiatrist and takes Risperdal for aggression/impulsivity and tenex for focus.  has helped a lot.  Hugs and GL!

mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I would look into FMLA. After that, maybe put your feelers out for a different job that might be better suited for your family. But I wouldn't just quit. Unless you financially can afford it. Believe me, not having enough money will just cause you more stress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Wish I had some inherited income to share!LOL!

I don;t know how working moms with autistic kids do it, I swear. I'm so lucky to have been able to stay home and it would break my heart if I couldn't be here for him the way I am now.

Don;t feel guilty for doing something to help your kids! If you can stay home, try it out!!

Alma4Mom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I don;t know how working moms with autistic kids do it, I swear. I'm so lucky to have been able to stay home and it would break my heart if I couldn't be here for him the way I am now.

Don;t feel guilty for doing something to help your kids! If you can stay home, try it out!!

Thanks lol!  I really can't right now but I am planning on maybe taking a day off a week from work.  Something is better than nothing!  I talked to my family this weekend and I hope they show me the support they stated they would.  Although not financial at least it will be helpful to know others care and will help him with socializing.  I wish people knew what we deal with. 

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I hope they do too... I'd much rather have loving support than financial any day....although financial would be great too lol.

You do what your family can handle as far as the loss of income. One thing about us is that we are so good at juggling it all and finding a way for it to come together. I think you're gonna be ok!

Quoting Alma4Mom:

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Thanks lol!  I really can't right now but I am planning on maybe taking a day off a week from work.  Something is better than nothing!  I talked to my family this weekend and I hope they show me the support they stated they would.  Although not financial at least it will be helpful to know others care and will help him with socializing.  I wish people knew what we deal with. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymommy98
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Ooohhhh tough one there. I for one cannot afford to quit working. Good luck to you. I hope you can manage it. I am going back to school so I can earn more and maybe be home more. We shall see. I just make the most of every moment I have with my kids and quite literally wing the rest. If nothing except mine and kids' homework and dinner prepared gets done, oh well. We can't do it all, you know. One moment at a time and let the next day worry about itself. big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)