Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

My house is a dirty, dirty mess.

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 41 Replies

I have 2 asd boys...9 and 11, and an 8 year old NT girl.  This house is never clean.  Never ever.  I clean up one mess and they are in another room making a mess. 
Please tell me Im not alone. 

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serena0404
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

never alone! i straighten up alot but "clean?" haven't had that kinda time or energy in AWHILE. U are definitely not alone ;) A clean house is a the bottom of our priorities list, mama....in case u hadn't heard - LOL

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM

What I do to help with that is we all clean together at the same time. We each pick a room, and we work together. I make sure that if my son's cleaning, I'm cleaning something at the same time. my husband helps out. Our toddler helps out too. :)

I think my house stays pretty clean, I try to go through and declutter the house 1x a week to help it keep from accumulating.

We also have 3 goats, 2 dogs and 3 cats - and a never ending supply of laundry. LOL

momw3bys1grl
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You arent alone.I have two spectrum kids and two others and its always cluttered and messy.We are on our second snow day and i feel like waving a white flag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
unusualmom
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM

No, I havent noticed.  I got reprimanded for a dirty house by family.  Usually I dont care but eh, this time it bothered me.  

Quoting Serena0404:

never alone! i straighten up alot but "clean?" haven't had that kinda time or energy in AWHILE. U are definitely not alone ;) A clean house is a the bottom of our priorities list, mama....in case u hadn't heard - LOL

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Hugs mama!
kajira
by Emma on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. :( i used to struggle to keep a clean house when my son was a toddler, I had to come up with a system to help because it made me depressed to live in filth. I can't handle living in a cluttered and dirty envi.ronment.... 

If you spend 15 minutes a day in one room, it makes it pretty easy to maintain if you do a little bit every day.

We do deep cleaning about 1x a week, we vacuum/scrub floors/bathrooms 1x a week, and then we just pick up the little stuff as we go to help keep it from getting so messy we can't keep up with it.

Flylady has some great organization techniques (or so I hear, I did best coming up with my own system instead of following someone else's, but I hear people have really good luck with it.)

I think for me, the key was just forcing myself to do at least 15 minutes a day of hard work on one room of my house... I also try not to go to bed with dirty dishes. 

Besides dishes and laundry that are a never, ending battle, picking up toys scattered all over the house and messes aren't that time consuming.

When our house is paid off in a couple years, I'm going to start investing in a deep cleaning service to come out and deep clean/dust every 3 months for us, just to reduce some of the stress off our family - it's so dusty here since we live in the desert and it's such a pain to try and keep up with just the sheer amount of "dirt" that blows in like that... Dust is the bane of my existance in this house.

Quoting unusualmom:

No, I havent noticed.  I got reprimanded for a dirty house by family.  Usually I dont care but eh, this time it bothered me.  

Quoting Serena0404:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM
6 moms liked this

I remember being young and my mom was always cleaning, she worked too, so the free days she had, she was cleaning. Now that I'm grown and have my own family, her advice to me was don't spend all your time cleaning, your kids are only little once and that time is precious,  you don't want to look back years from now and think you missed out on memories with your children for the sake of a clean house. Just do your best, and don't worry about it.

Violet's Mom

Twitter @autismnotebook

LaurieMomof4
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I have four children 5-15, 3 of them boys and the youngest has Autism.... It's a struggle. My solution is to keep an extremely organized home with all the toys in labelled bins. I use my son's penchant for sorting to my advantage :) my littlest does make a crazy mess, dump stuff, move the furniture, etc... But we just keep on top of it. Most of his big messes are in our playroom so if worse comes to worse I can shut the door.

SandyLaxner
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No hun,you are not alone.  legos,toy story figures everywhere,working on DS ASD 5yo cleanup skills!  he just zooms from one activity to another.  Dirty house still drives me nut-but I'm calming down about it-clean dishes and laundry done and I'm good.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your children should be helping you more. You have enough to do without having to go back and clean up after them. Give them a chore list with consequences if they don't complete the tasks. Hope things get better for you momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)