Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

White noise

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter is having a happy day in her room with her toys. The door is shut, her curtains are open and she is in there having a blast lining up her dolls. They line up and she counts them, then she lines them up another way and counts them. I'm so glad she loves her dolls and is having a good day cause its been a few days of really crappy things.

i can't hear her in there though unless I open the door which leads to her screaming at me. But I can hear her radio. She has it nearly full blast. I love loud music. I sing along and dance along and generally make an idiot of myself with my music on. However my darter has it on static. Blaringly loud static. Not a station, not a note of music, just static. This is not the first time she has done this either. I've helped her find radio stations, but it always goes back to the static. 

Do you children prefer white noise over music or other noises?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
VioletsMomTown
by Robyn on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Its one of those tricks to use with babies to get them to stop crying, kind of like how some like the vacuum noise. I tried it with Violet and it didn't really work for her, but I don't think its that unusual for kids to like it.

MomtoLou
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I used the bathroom fan a lot with both my kids. They both were screamers. It just is not something I understand that she still seems to love. 

Quoting VioletsMomTown:

Its one of those tricks to use with babies to get them to stop crying, kind of like how some like the vacuum noise. I tried it with Violet and it didn't really work for her, but I don't think its that unusual for kids to like it.

lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If she were mine I would buy her one of those noice machines that have lots of different sound tracks...she would probably love it, my son loved his when he was little, especially the sound of trains :) They aren't very expensive anymore and you can find them that have many different kinds of repetive sound, a little more pleasant than static for all involved!  XO 

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM

my dd loves the sound of ocean waves on her noise machine but it also has a white noise button :)    Ds does NOT like those, he likes his ocean wonders/ fisher price cd, it is the only cd he will listen to for bed and only the first half of it...  Ds also plays for hours on his bed lining and counting his matchbox cars, but he doesn't listen to anything while hes doing it- for him music is strictly bedtime or car time LOL 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yes, my son prefers white noise to be honest.  I typically only use it when he sleeps though:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)