Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

I have a teenager that was diagnosed late....

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 4 Replies
My son is 14 and struggling in middle school. I want my son to be in the least restrictive school environment as possible. His math teacher feels he should be in a self contained classroom and my son wants to remain in the mainstream classroom. The special ed. teacher stated that he will never use the regular math when he grow up and that he should come to the self contained classroom where he will learn life skills such as balancing a check book. Are there any other parents going through this situation?
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I don't, but I can see plusses & minuses in both situations.  However, since your son wants to remain in the mainstream classroom, I think his feelings should most definitely be taken into account.  How is he doing in math?

lucasmadre
by Kari on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

You can teach your son how to balance a check book, besides the way things are going check books are going to be obsolete soon anyway. How does she know he will never use "regular math" ? If he was diagnosed late I am guessing he was doing pretty well in school or they would have caught things earlier so ask them what are the down falls of him staying in mainstream math if that is what he wants. Good luck... XO Stick to your guns!

kajira
by Emma on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

For those responding to this post - she posted it twice and the other thread has a ton of replies if you'd like to read them. 

http://www.cafemom.com/group/112775/forums/read/18125107/I_have_a_teenager_that_was_diagnosed_late

Sharbear42371
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We are going to send our son who will be in the 5th grade to private school next year.  We are doing this so he can still be mainstream but also get more attention.  The child/ teacher ratio is much lower than our public schools here.  He didn't have any issues with school until this year.  He hates it because it has became overwhelming for him.  His self esteem is suffering because he struggles in a couple of subjects.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN