Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

OH NO

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 12 Replies

Both of my boys are autistic they are 6 and 5. My 5yo has always had impulse control issues and odd interest. For months MONTHS he was obsessed with pouring things through a funnel into t a cup whatever and however he could meet that want. After months of tears and frustration for the whole house the behavior seemed to lessen at least to the point where it was manageable.

IT'S BACK

He has in the last few days AGAIN started flooding the bathroom or the kitchen and he has dumped sugar all over the floor.

I was SO grateful for this behavior to be gone. I could cry.

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Oh no! I can relate. Not to the exact same thing but my son will have an obsession, like he used to have to put things in things..like jars, jugs, boxes, the bird cage..you name it he would stuff things inside of things. I remember how nice it was when he stopped and then that moment when he started doing it again..sigh.. Fortunately it's bee3 years since he went through that... So there is hope! But I know it is so frustrating....

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Hugs momma. Hope things get better for you. My ds went through a phase of pouring his cups out. It has stopped for the most part now thank goodness. Have you thought about getting maybe a lava bottle that he can turn and watch or maybe even make your own. A water bottle food coloring water and oil   Hot glue the lid. Or maybe get him a sand time thing he can turn it and watch the sand fall through the glass and not get all over the floor. Good luck

takeitall13
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

my son loves to pour things too, so we still have him using sippys (hes only 2 1/2 though).. but we can DEFINATELY relate, Neko has strange obsessions too but with him its sooo frustrating, if you yell at him once over something that was making a mess or that he hurt himself with sometimes it will make him NEVER want ANYTHING to do with that thing/activity again. Sigh.   We had FINALLY got him off of waking up every 90min for music at night and then a few months later it came back with a vengence, now he wants it restarted once it gets to a certain track and wakes between every 1 to 2 hours again for it to be played  SIGH.   HUGS, hoping this passes quickly or that you can SOMEHOW divert his attention?  Good luck with that, Neko has always been one tracked and very hard to divert...  <3

LaurieMomof4
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Oh no, I'm so sorry. We had multiple incidents with peanut butter, my son likes to eat it with a spoon, rub it on his body, spread it on the walls and furniture. I have literally gasped and cried multiple times after entering a room and seeing what he's done. I'm so sorry this is happening, hopefully you can nip it in the bud quickly. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Hugs mama!  I'm sorry to hear this behavior is back.  Can you talk to the therapists to get some ideas?

busymommy98
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You poor thing. I feel your pain. My ds does something odd only when he is upset but it is an obsession all the same. He tears the drywall off in chunks at the points where he has kicked holes in his bedroom walls. Something about the ripping noise when it comes off seems to satisfy him. I want to cry when I see him do it. His walls look like swiss cheese. If he is mad enough, said chunks fly at me. I have been hit everywhere you can get hit. (yes, even down there-just because we are women doesn't mean it doesn't hurt!!) His door gets this impartial treatment too. It is a hollow oak veneer door and only the inner framework of the door on his side exists. I would want to laugh if I was someone else. This is an ongoing thing and I may just put up a harder material instead of drywall-something that won't break and tear so easily. But then, will he go do that somewhere else in the house??? Hang in there, sweetie, you aren't alone...Hugs...

Noahs-Mom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Our boys eat peanut butter the same way. I normall find it smashed into the sofa!

Quoting LaurieMomof4:

Oh no, I'm so sorry. We had multiple incidents with peanut butter, my son likes to eat it with a spoon, rub it on his body, spread it on the walls and furniture. I have literally gasped and cried multiple times after entering a room and seeing what he's done. I'm so sorry this is happening, hopefully you can nip it in the bud quickly. 

Paperfishies
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM
My 3 year old daughter is all about pouring things out.
She poured out a gigantic thing of corn started in the living room, a bag of powdered sugar and a can of cocoa powder...she will pour out any drink she can get ahold of. It drives me bonkers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucasmadre
by Kari on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Well, all I can say is that soon it will be summer. You can get a kiddy pool and a bunch of funnels and he will be happy. I think he is probably trying to figure something out. That and it is a soothing feeling, to pour something through a funnel. 

I do know your desperation though, it is so hard to stay patient and stay cool when all you want is things to feel normal. I am sorry mom, it isn't easy and we all have our days. Have a good cry and let him play with funnels in the tub for now.  XO 

Bluerose1482
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Have you tried a sand and water table? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN