Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Autism and Disney world

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 38 Replies
We would like to take a family trip to Disney world, but I'm concerned how my son will do there, I don't want him to be over stimulated and not enjoy himself ... Has anyone took their child there yet? How did they do?
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy4lyf
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We took ours to Disneyland and he had a good time. The first day we went there, he was observing for one hour and then he want to go back to the hotel. Of course we felt bad because he didn't like it. The next day, he got up early and told us repeatedly, disneyland! disneyland! so we got up and bought another ticket. It's all worth it.

You need to try it first and don't expect anything. Good luck!

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We went Oct 2011 when Ashton was about to turn 7. We had our dr write  a note about his autism and sensory issues and we got a special  pass so he could get on all the rides the same as the express pass, so little wait. W went one of the least crowded times of the year. It was awesome! My ds loves Disney Pixar and loves the Hollywood Studios park the best. He also loves roller coasters and got to ride pretty much all of them. I was 28 weeks pregnant so I spent most of my time in line with my dd waiting to meet the princesses. My parents came along to help and they are awesome with Ashton. My dad, hubby and Ashton rode the rides and my mom and Maddie and I waited for the characters (and rode some rides too)  Ashton got to meet the characters he wanted. We did have to leave the park early one day because he was overstimulated but we had a 5 day pass and you can come and go. We really want to go back, maybe next summer when my youngest is 2.5.

Charizma77
by Carissa on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I will try to post some pics later, if ya want.

kinshipcaremama
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM
There is no way my son would be able to tolerate Disney World. If you think your child might enjoy it you could try....just don't be disappointed if he can't handle it. It's a very stimulating place.
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM
I'd love to take the kids. We just don't have the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We have been thinking about it. We make big use of earplugs and sunglasses. I probably, sigh, would pull the baby sling out of storage for it. He would need some way to retreat.

EthansMomma2010
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

we took our son to disneyland twice this past summer. but he is 2 and small enough to be in the stroller or worn all the time which helped a lot! every time we got off a ride he had a tantrum, but it didnt' dampen his excitment when the next ride came. we have since learned that frontloading him with how people get on and off rides helps a lot. we only attempted one character interaction and that went ok but he was very shy and limp. basically we just didn't force anything and he seemed ok, but every child is different

yergie1985
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Go to amazon and search "Disney guide autism." It will bring up a book that has a guide to Disney/travel in Florida for kids with ASD. I haven't read it, I just did a search. There's another one but I can't seem to find it right now. 

Also check out allears.net/pl/dis_aut.htm

Kimmiky
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

what a great idea!!!

Quoting Charizma77:

We went Oct 2011 when Ashton was about to turn 7. We had our dr right a note about his autism and sensory issues and we got a special  pass so he could get on all the rides the same as the express pass, so little wait. W went one of the least crowded times of the year. It was awesome! My ds loves Disney Pixar and loves the Hollywood Studios park the best. He also loves roller coasters and got to ride pretty much all of them. I was 28 weeks pregnant so I spent most of my time in line with my dd waiting to meet the princesses. My parents came along to help and they are awesome with Ashton. My dad, hubby and Ashton rode the rides and my mom and Maddie and I waited for the characters (and rode some rides too)  Ashton got to meet the characters he wanted. We did have to leave the park early one day because he was overstimulated but we had a 5 day pass and you can come and go. We really want to go back, maybe next summer when my youngest is 2.5.

happymotherof6
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM

just no scary rides like the snow white

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)