Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism - Support Across the Spectrum Autism - Support Across the Spectrum

Searching for a diagnosis

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm new here. My name is Liz. my son Ethan is 2 1/2 year old. He has been in speech therapy since he was 18 months old and is still behind in language. i"m very happy with his therapist just think he has some extra stuff going on. He also just started OT for his eating problems.

He took forever to get off of baby food, after taking forever to like baby food. Now he seems to be regressing back to his 12 month old eating habits. He has very poor utensil skills and doesn't really understand coloring the way other children his age seem to. Initially his OT is calling is Sensory Processing Disorder, but I really feel like he is more ASD than SPD. He has very little unmimicked speech, a lot of trouble communicating his wants or deciding between object or foods, several other symptoms of ASD.

So here's a question. At what age does imaginitive play develop in a NT boy and what does it look like? I'm used to being around little girls for this age, so I really don't know.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Notes:

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawncs
by Dawn on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I recommend really getting him officially diagnosed with a professional in regards to Autism because it will help with later theraputic services. You can find one through a state or local chapter of Autism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/) or Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/). However, it will take time to get an appointment.

JTMOM422
by Brenda on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I think if you are thinking more ASD than SPD then I would look into having him evaluated. It doesn't hurt to have the evaluations done and it will ease your mind. My ds is almost 3 and barely does any imaginary play. He does more now because of almost 10 months of therapy. Before then none. He would only play with toys one way. He is more accepting of changing the way we play with things. Good luck momma and welcome to the group

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

i'm working on it but we are in a tricky situation. active duty military until august. he turns 3 in august. we move home in june. his pedi refuses to refer us. i'm stuck but trying really hard to figure out a way around all this red tape

Quoting dawncs:

I recommend really getting him officially diagnosed with a professional in regards to Autism because it will help with later theraputic services. You can find one through a state or local chapter of Autism Speaks (http://www.autismspeaks.org/) or Autism Society (http://www.autism-society.org/). However, it will take time to get an appointment.

blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM
If his pedi won't refer, look for agencies that can help you. Here in San Antonio we have The Arc, Any Baby Can, etc.

Check the Autism Speaks website to look up what's available in your area.

Also, typically SPD and ASD go hand in hand. My son has characteristics of both. Make sure that your sons therapies are tailored to what he needs and not the diagnosis.

Good luck!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

i'm working on it but we are in a tricky situation. active duty military until august. he turns 3 in august. we move home in june. his pedi refuses to refer us. i'm stuck but trying really hard to figure out a way around all this red tape

Quoting dawncs:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Welcome Liz! I think when a mom feels something is wrong then she should get it checked into. If you aren't happy with his diagnosis, he shod be evaluated by someone specializing in autism .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mypbandj
by Jen on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I would start by taking the M-CHAT to see if he exhibits any of the other red flag behaviors. 

To answer your question, pretend play begins around age one in the form of copying adults; wiping up a spill, combing hair, feeding a doll with a bottle or shaving are examples. 

Around 18 months it will become more imaginative like pretending to cook or go to the zoo. Also, they will begin to make objects act like something else (like pretend a block is a babys bottle). 

There really isn't much difference in the stages of pretend play between boys and girls (except girls might be more interested in pretending to feed a baby and a boy might want to feed a dog, but even that isn't always true). 

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:23 PM

i printed out the m-chat. he qualifies to be evaluated. he had 2 of the Best 7 and like 3 others.

he doesn't do any pretend play except talk on the phone. he had to be taught kithcen play, baby play, etc, and all of that he only does the exact way he was shown. mostly he just moves stuff from one place to another all day. like he will move the mr potato head pieces from one place to another and back again. or move cars and then line them up and then move them and line them up. he is "friendly" to other kids, but really could care less whether they are there or not. he doesn't sense that he is walking on stuff like legos and matchbox cars. he doesn't understand when we are talking about a place and get excited. we have legoland passes and he doesn't grasp what we are talking about or where we are going until we are there. same with his st and ot, church, etc.

Quoting mypbandj:

I would start by taking the M-CHAT to see if he exhibits any of the other red flag behaviors. 

To answer your question, pretend play begins around age one in the form of copying adults; wiping up a spill, combing hair, feeding a doll with a bottle or shaving are examples. 

Around 18 months it will become more imaginative like pretending to cook or go to the zoo. Also, they will begin to make objects act like something else (like pretend a block is a babys bottle). 

There really isn't much difference in the stages of pretend play between boys and girls (except girls might be more interested in pretending to feed a baby and a boy might want to feed a dog, but even that isn't always true). 

EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

thanks! I am trying to contact patient advocacy on base and I will call San Diego First 5. I will also ask at our WIC appt next week. I ignored a lot of this for too long, but a friend invited me to a FB page she started for SPD and ASD and I noticed from all the other comments and videos how closely he resembles these children who already have a diagnosis. :(

Quoting blessedhappymom:

If his pedi won't refer, look for agencies that can help you. Here in San Antonio we have The Arc, Any Baby Can, etc.

Also, typically SPD and ASD go hand in hand. My son has characteristics of both. Make sure that your sons therapies are tailored to what he needs and not the diagnosis.

Good luck!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting dawncs:

blessedhappymom
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I know the feeling. I was in denial for a few years. I hate that it kept my son from getting services, but I focus on where we are an how we are moving forward from here.

What I've learned is that we have to educate ourselves about what are kids in order for us to make the best decisions for them. I say this because our speech therapist told us to stay far away from ABA therapy, but everyone else even research shows how beneficial it is. I started researching it and now my son will be starting at an ABA based school on Monday.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

thanks! I am trying to contact patient advocacy on base and I will call San Diego First 5. I will also ask at our WIC appt next week. I ignored a lot of this for too long, but a friend invited me to a FB page she started for SPD and ASD and I noticed from all the other comments and videos how closely he resembles these children who already have a diagnosis. :(

Quoting blessedhappymom:

Good luck!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting dawncs:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma2010
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM

yes. I know what you mean. I have to go battle his dr soon and I have been reading every book I can get my hands on. I kept thinking that speech therapy would solve our issues. He had so much trouble with speech that i really believed it just inhibited his development. Now after a year of speech and regression in some areas, I can see that was not the case. Plus I really thought I just got the easy baby. You know the one who slept 20+ hours a day, sucked down his bottles, and loved his swing. I can now see that he was just really uninvolved in his world.

That is so cool that your son gets to go to an actual ABA school!!!!

Quoting blessedhappymom:

I know the feeling. I was in denial for a few years. I hate that it kept my son from getting services, but I focus on where we are an how we are moving forward from here.

What I've learned is that we have to educate ourselves about what are kids in order for us to make the best decisions for them. I say this because our speech therapist told us to stay far away from ABA therapy, but everyone else even research shows how beneficial it is. I started researching it and now my son will be starting at an ABA based school on Monday.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting blessedhappymom:

Good luck!

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

Quoting dawncs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)